Menu

Can you all handle one more CLE math question?

TCoppock

We have used Saxon Math for the last 2 years. I loved the format and teaching guide of Saxon 3 but when we hit Saxon 54 that all changed. My complaints about 54 and higher levels are: There is no teaching guide at these levels and the way Saxon explains concepts (breaking them up into tiny pieces) confuses my son rather than clarfies. I feel like I am having to show my son the "easy way" to complete the problem almost EVERY lesson. I feel like I am using Saxon more as a guide of what to teach rather than an actual math program. Also I don't feel there are enough word problems.

What I like about Saxon is the fact it covers a wide variety of problems and that it continually reinforces concepts through practice problems.

I have recently discovered CLE math and it looks wonderful. I've looked at the samples online but can't really tell how much teaching help is available. I am very good at math but I can't always explain how to get the answers and need a little guidance in that aspect. I also want to know how you feel the two of these programs compare. What level would I need if my son is in the beggining of Saxon 65? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really just want to find a good fit for us and stick with it. Thanks in advance.

We're not at your level yet with my dc who uses CLE so I can't comment much except to say that I've found the explanations in the workbook at the 400 level to be very good. There is also built in review like Saxon.

I haven't minded that the topics change at this level, but another dc used Saxon 87 and the changing topics everyday began to be a problem at the higher levels. Then we had to move to a mastery program. You could run into the same problem with CLE depending on the child and the level of math they're doing.

One option would be to buy a light unit and try it. You could do a diagnostic test or review the scope and sequence and jump in. One light unit is less than $3.00.

You may also want to see what mastery programs there are out there that include review. BJU and MUS come to mind but I don't know much about them.

HTH!

It is a spiral program with all of the material in the student workbooks (called Light Units). That said, I think that the explanations in the Light Units are a little better than Saxon. I also like the layout better. But they still have an incremental approach and lots and lots of review.

The Teacher Guidebooks really don't have much explanation. I keep around because they do have an index in the back that tells where each skill is referred to in the Light Units by Unit and Lesson Number, and sometimes we do have to go back. The actual lessons in the Guidebook are about 2/3 of a page at most and are mostly just an outline of which drills/lesson to do and a few notes on new concepts, suggestions for boardwork, and tips for struggling students, but sometimes there's really very little content at all.

We've finished CLE Math 3-6 now, and it's a very solid program, but my oldest is going to Math-U-See / Life of Fred for pre-algebra because he's ready to go to something with less review. My younger one is sticking with CLE.

As for level, you really need to do the placement test and also look at the Scope-and-Sequence.

What level would I need if my son is in the beggining of Saxon 65? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really just want to find a good fit for us and stick with it. Thanks in advance.

Print some of the lessons available online and have your dc do them. All the instruction is in the student's lightunit. Look at the scope & sequence chart to compare the programs to place your dc (look at math 5 & 6).

I've been very impressed with the teacher guide for the 100 level; I should have the 500 level TG within the next few days. If it's anywhere near as good as the 100 level, I do not forsee any difficulty explaining the concepts to Yacko & Wacko, and I'm absolutely NOT a mathy person.