Menu

SOTW Ancients--get the cd's & test too? Fave add'l readings?

Rainbows

Im trying to put together 1 large order and wondering if I should add in the CDs or the tests? DS is 6 and in first grade and its our first attempt at history. He tends to be a visual learner but does need to work on his auditory skills (has some mild sensory issues) and may (nor may not lol) do better listening to the CDs than listening to me read.

Are the tests necessary? I'm fine getting them if they are worth it, but if not, I'll use the money elsewhere

And lastly, any supplemental readings that stood out as exceptional? I'll add those to my order

thanks so much!

DD is a visual learner and she loved You Wouldn't Want to Be a Sumerian Slave, Adventures in Ancient Egypt and Usborne's The Story of Rome and beginners Egyptians (from the Egyptians kid kit). I would also recommend the Queen Nefertiti Coloring book and the Aesop's Fables coloring book. I bought tons of books and she really latched onto those. You can see our booklist at the link. Lots of pictures!

Could you maybe have him read along with the audio?

DD is a visual learner and she loved You Wouldn't Want to Be a Sumerian Slave, Adventures in Ancient Egypt and Usborne's The Story of Rome and beginners Egyptians (from the Egyptians kid kit). I would also recommend the Queen Nefertiti Coloring book and the Aesop's Fables coloring book. I bought tons of books and she really latched onto those. You can see our booklist at the link. Lots of pictures!

Could you maybe have him read along with the audio?

thanks for the book ideas. Im sure my 3 yr old will be joining us at times too so the coloring books may work well for us

I was considering having him try and read along with the audio (with my help)

My experience with the cd audio set and my 6 yr-old son:

The voice on the audio recording is very pleasing, but my ds tended to zone out after a few minutes. I think it was a little too relaxing for him. I found the best way to keep him engaged while listening was for me to read with regular "stops" along the way for reaction and discussion. As long as our read aloud time remained intereactive to some degree, he seemed to stay with it. That was not really feasible using the cd recordings, though.

We loved the audio. I gave up reading the books. My son listened to it as his bedtime CDs, again and again.

Our library has them now -- might be worth a check for you.

We also loved the Jim Weiss audios that cover ancient Eqypt and Greek Mythology.

thanks for the book ideas. Im sure my 3 yr old will be joining us at times too so the coloring books may work well for us

I was considering having him try and read along with the audio (with my help)

In that case, here are more picture books:

Lugalbanda: The boy

who got caught up in a war

Kathy Henderson

A picture book of the oldest written story known to date.

Lugalbanda is believed to be the father of Gilgamesh.

Seeker of Knowledge: The Man who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphics James Rumford

The Flying Horse: The Story of Pegasus (IR)

Jane B. Mason

The story of a young man who tames Pegasus and destroys the Chimaera.

The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus

Aliki

This speaks of the Greek gods that we are familiar with (infidelity). You may want to preview this one. I have found nothing else that presents the material so well.

The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War

Emily Little

The First Painter

Katherine Lasky

This is a beautiful picture book that describes the birth of cave painting.

We’re Sailing Down the Nile

A Journey Through Egypt

Laurie Krebs

A rhythmic story that is well-suited for the youngest students about a class field trip to all of the landmarks on the Nile. A section in the back has additional information that students of all ages would benefit from.

Tutankhamen's Gift

Robert Sabuda

How did Tutankhamen contribute to Egypt?

Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters

John Steptoe

This is based on a folktale told by native people living near ruins in Zimbabwe. I was glad to find an Ancient African tale that was neither Egyptian nor about Anansi.

Rimonah of the Flashing Sword

A North African Tale adapted by Eric A. Kimmel, Rimonah is an African Snow white, with skin as dark as a pomegranate. She becomes a great hero of the desert nomads.

The Dragon Prince: A Chinese Beauty and the Beast Tale

Laurence Yep, Kam Mak.

Black Ships Before Troy

Rosemary Sutcliff

Illustrated by Alan Lee

This book is beautifully illustrated; therefore I have chosen to include it with the picture books. However, I am listing it as optional because some families might feel that the violence and morbidity it contains are a bit too graphic for their child. I have key stories from the Iliad in my own book for this program, thus there is no need to purchase or utilize the non-illustrated version of Black Ships Before Troy. I encourage you to preview it at your local library, if possible. It is not available for purchase from Amazon, except through the "used" booksellers they offer.I continued to schedule the book for those who wish to include it, but the notes about appropriateness would be too numerous to include.

Fa Mulan

Robert D. San Souci.

Prince Siddhartha: The Story of Buddha

Jonathon Landaw (I don't have this one yet)

The Great Alexander the Great

Joe Lasker (OOP but excellent)

Confucius: Chinese Philosopher: World Cultures Through Time

Primary Source Readers (don't have this one either)

Wendy Conklin