Menu

Question on testing

Does anyone do testing (such as Iowa) even though your kids are in Public or Private school? I would suppose you might do it to gain additional information on where your kids strengths/weaknesses are. If so, what would be the best tests to tell you that. (mostly interested in elementary grades, but feel free to discuss any and all). Did it help you figure out what to afterschool?

I would guess most parents don't bother with additional testing. What would you prompt you to test? Poor performance in school? Mismatch of potential and ouput?

I am referring to achievement tests rather than IQ tests, although I can see were a combination might be helpful.

Thanks.

The school does the ITBS starting in third grade, so I don't need to do it outside of school. In first grade, they are tested to get into the gifted program, so I have those scores.

However, I know my kids. I spend a lot of time with them reading, doing math, studying history, exploring, writing, and checking their homework. Their test scores are never a surprise. Also, I communicate with their teachers all the time, so if there was a problem, we would catch it without having to wait for testing.

Do you know where we can get comparisons of ITBS test scores? Our school uses ITBS, but the public schools here do not. Nationwide, statewide, anything would be helpful..