Menu

Is handwriting necessary?

Guest bookwormmama

Guest bookwormmama

Ok so my soon-to-be 4th grader will be doing First Language Lessons 3 and Writing With Ease 2 this fall. She'll also be doing a daily journal and a spelling program. Is it necessary for her to do a separate handwriting program? She has been learning cursive this year and although her handwriting is not the best she is doing fine. Can she just practice with her copywork and narrations and dictation and her journal and is that enough handwriting? Or does she really need a separate handwriting program? She has progressed through A Reason for Handwriting program {although we weren't thrilled with the cursive book and we picked something else out instead that worked better}.

What age do you stop handwriting programs?

Also for my son who has been doing A Reason for Handwriting, his writing is beautiful. I am worried however about starting cursive with him as I did not like the cursive instruction for this program and I am worried about screwing him up by switching so I don't know what to do with him for next year at all...

any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

If she doesn't have any problems writing her letters in cursive (can you read her cursive?), then I would say skip a handwriting program fro next year and just make sure she does about/at least half of her work in cursive, so that she does, in fact, keep practising it.

As for your son, you didn't say how old he is (I am assuming younger than the soon-to-be 4th grader), I think the question for now should be - does he wnat to learn cursive?

Guest bookwormmama

Thanks so much for your reply!

My daughter's cursive isn't anything to get excited about... you can tell she's learning. I can read it. She has had a difficult time getting her letters to slan. t.. we've turned the page, lined up her arm properly, etc.

My son will be 8 soon and yes, he does want to learn cursive. So I really don't know what to do with him.

Oh and both of them are left handed.

For your son...I will tell you that my mom, an OT, is having us do Handwriting without Tears for cursive - its not as pretty as "official" cursive, but its much easier for children to write (my son HATES writing) and is more natural when moving from manuscript. It basically teaches "cursive" in the style which we all start writing in after we write cursive on our own for a number of years...you know, not so pretty and gets the message across?