Menu

How did you use Further Up and Further In by Caldron Creek?

SoCal Sandra

Dss read the Chronicles of Narnia when they were six and have since reread some of them, listened to all the audio books countless times, seen the BBC movies and seen the two Disney movies.

I'm planning to revisit Narnia with them at a more in depth level now that they will be starting fourth grade. What did you find to be the most beneficial aspect of "Further Up and Further In" by Caldron Creek?

Any other recommendations re: taking the "Chronicles of Narnia" to a deeper level?

TIA

I just bought it a few months ago, and plan to use it in the fall, but I don't think I would use it to cover all of the subjects they suggest.

According to the Cadron Creek website,

Like each of the Cadron Creek unit studies, Further Up and Further In is a highly self-contained curriculum. This full-year curriculum is an extensive study of The Chronicles of Narnia, which integrates a wide range of subject studies, including English literature, social studies, geography, Bible and character building, cooking, and art. It also supplements science and history.

We are using it mainly for reading comprehension, and while we'll cover the other material, I am thinking of FUAFI as a fun supplement to our regular curriculum choices, not as the main part of our school day. I honestly don't think it's comprehensive enough to use for all of those other subjects, although perhaps I'll feel differently once we are actually using it.

My initial impression is that it's a lovely program that provides an overview of several different subjects as they relate to the Narnia books. I think that, if we get too in-depth with trying to cover too many subject areas with FUAFI, we'll lose the fun of the books.

That said, I think there's a lot of information in FUAFI, and I'm glad I bought it. It seems to be very "customizable," as it appears to be easy to pick and choose among the activities, and the book itself is very user-friendly. It also goes far more in-depth than I would in terms of analyzing the Narnia books and integrating them into the study of several different subjects.

Overall, I think you and your kids will enjoy FUAFI, as long as you modify it a bit to "keep it fun."

Are you planning to use it mainly for reading/literature, or as more of a complete unit study program to cover several subjects?

Cat