Menu

Classic Starts abridged versions...worth reading?

Rainbows

Tonight at B&N we saw these books on sale for 3 for $9.99. There were several that my 9 yr old DD liked and we almost got them, but noticed they were abridged versions and weren't sure if we should get them. Anyone familar with these books?

It seems that some of the unabridged versions of these stories appeared overwhelming to DD....so I wouldnt necessarily be opposed to a shortened version as long as the integrity of the story was still present

My DD seems to like them while they are rewritten based I guess on the original versions doubtless many prefer the original stories. We are pretty lax as far as reading goes no requirements other than our idea of appropriate content. DD is not expected to read any quantity we just ensure the opportunity to kick it with a book-if she wants to. DD has read several and the prices seem great for the build quality of the books. For now the Classic Starts are just right, a few “hard†words but not so many to sap the fun of reading.

Ray

My kids love these. SWB recommends starting with the abridged versions of the classics and then rereading the unabridged versions when they are older. My kids read even easier ones in 1-4, then we move to a little harder ones (like the Classic Starts) for 5-8, then we will hit the unabridged for high school. My 8th grade son will read some unabridged this year. Also, the Classic Starts books are used in Tapestry of Grace, so they must be some of the better versions. ;)

We use them to intro classic literature that may be so wordy in the original version that my kids' eyes glaze over. Yacko is a reluctant reader (he's 13) so for him it's just enough that he gets the bones of the story, then we give him the original. He has the ability and vocabulary to read the originals, but needs that gentle introduction first.

Wacko tends to not need them; with Dot we use them because her reading ability and her chronological age are so uneven. This gives her the story without the extra words that sometimes cause her to lose interest.

My kids love these. SWB recommends starting with the abridged versions of the classics and then rereading the unabridged versions when they are older. My kids read even easier ones in 1-4, then we move to a little harder ones (like the Classic Starts) for 5-8, then we will hit the unabridged for high school. My 8th grade son will read some unabridged this year. Also, the Classic Starts books are used in Tapestry of Grace, so they must be some of the better versions. ;)

Yep, and if SWB says it's ok then it is! ;)