Menu

Another LOF question

Quiver0f10

Someone posted this in another LOF thread:

"My only complaint is that I wish sometimes that the answer was explained in steps as we both struggle with math and I have a difficult time working thru problems if we both don't know how to get answer"

and I am wondering if these books would still be a good fit for a student who scored low on the IOWA math sections: problem solving appraoches and procedures.

I am trying to find somethign for review before we do CD Alg I and was hoping LOF would work.

Thanks again!

My personal opinion is that LOF is not a good fit for someone who is not strong in math. My experience with LOF is limited to the Fractions, and Decimals and percents books.

My ds had finished SM 6B and I didn't want to rush into algebra so I got the 2 LOF books as a fun review for him. (He's also finished the Key to Fractions workbooks in 4th and 5th grade.) We both found the explanations not quite clear and if ds hadn't had the good foundation he had from SM and Key to, he would have had a hard time answering some of the questions.

But ds did enjoy going through the books because of its lighthearted nature.

Mind you, someone could prove my opinion wrong. This is my thinking based on my ds, not other people's children.

HTH!

Annabelle

and I am wondering if these books would still be a good fit for a student who scored low on the IOWA math sections: problem solving appraoches and procedures
I think that motivation matters more than innate math ability with Fred. Students using the books are expected to be self motivated and willing to puzzle things out rather than just wanting to get it over with.

Fwiw, Jean -

My ds12 hit a roadblock about 1/2 way through Beginning Algebra. It was as you posted earlier - the answer was there, but we couldn't get through the steps. And I actually liked math and was good at it!

Stanley Schmidt was great about emailing my son the answer, with the steps to go with it. Frankly, I was disappointed that the Home Companion didn't have the step-by-step answers in it - that was what I expected. And honestly, I just can't email the author every time my son hits a road block.

I'm not selling or giving away LOF, but it's going to be more of a reference, I think. HTH!