Menu

Classical Liberal Arts Academy (CLAA): Questions for users

Dawn E

I am considering enrolling my dd in the grammar program in the Fall. I am not Catholic, but I have discussed attending CLAA as a Protestant with Mr. Michael via email. He has been very frank and forthcoming, which I appreciate greatly. We are still processing through this and have yet to make a final decision.

I am curious, though, to hear from families that have used CLAA, Catholic or Protestant. Did the program meet your expectations? Have your children had difficulties with the grammar program? Have you experienced any dissatisfaction with the academy?

Thanks so much for any input. If you'd prefer...please feel free to reply by PM.

CLAA

Edited by Dawn E

The program is SO new that I really doubt that you'll get any responses. :(

The Academy is something that I considered for a while. I understand how difficult it is going with something that's so new and untested!

Have you looked on the CLAA forum?

Good luck in your decision!

I am considering enrolling my dd in the grammar program in the Fall. I am not Catholic, but I have discussed attending CLAA as a Protestant with Mr. Michael via email. He has been very frank and forthcoming, which I appreciate greatly. We are still processing through this and have yet to make a final decision.

I am curious, though, to hear from families that have used CLAA, Catholic or Protestant. Did the program meet your expectations? Have your children had difficulties with the grammar program? Have you experienced any dissatisfaction with the academy?

Thanks so much for any input. If you'd prefer...please feel free to reply by PM.

CLAA

I am considering the Grammar I course for my eldest as well.

I am in agreement with Arcara that it is very new. There are a lot of unknowns.

You may try the family forum at the CLAA website.

Good Luck :)

If you do decided to try this, please keep us updated. I've looked at the website a few times & been tempted. ;) I'm also a Protestant, so that aspect (non-Protestant using the program) is of particular interest to me. After reading some of the site contents, I was left with the impression that non-Catholics were not completely welcome.

If you do decided to try this, please keep us updated. I've looked at the website a few times & been tempted. ;) I'm also a Protestant, so that aspect (non-Protestant using the program) is of particular interest to me. After reading some of the site contents, I was left with the impression that non-Catholics were not completely welcome.

I definitely will update if we follow this path.

I think we as Protestants are welcome, just warned that the material will be strictly Catholic in doctrine (whenever doctrine applies) as well as in world-view, and that we will still be expected to complete every lesson regardless of agreement or disagreement with the doctrine or world-view. He basically stated that if we "consider the benefits of the program worth the hassle" these other things might present, we are welcome to participate. I can respect that...especially since he was so upfront about it on the site and in my email discussions. I'm not sure how much doctrine will come into play in the grammar program (it does use the first three chapters of John, but I think it will focus on Latin and grammar rather than content). It would be nice to hear from someone who's gone before...but I may not have that option. However, I'll be sure to pass on what I learn if we proceed in this direction.

Edited by Dawn E

I definitely will update if we follow this path.

I think we as Protestants are welcome, just warned that the material will be strictly Catholic in doctrine (whenever doctrine applies) as well as in world-view, and that we will still be expected to complete every lesson regardless of agreement or disagreement with the doctrine or world-view. He basically stated that if we "consider the benefits of the program worth the hassle" these other things might present, we are welcome to participate. I can respect that...especially since he was so upfront about it on the site and in my email discussions. I'm not sure how much doctrine will come into play in the grammar program (it does use the first three chapters of John, but I think it will focus on Latin and grammar rather than content). It would be nice to hear from someone who's gone before...but I may not have that option. However, I'll be sure to pass on what I learn if we proceed in this direction.

Thanks! I appreciate the clarification. I have no problem answering questions with the "expected" answers; it's something I had to learn to do myself, in government schools. ;) I don't think we'd sign up for the Theology classes, but I'm really intrigued by the grammar, and especially by the upper level quadrivium/science classes (astronomy & music in particular.) I'm very much looking forward to hearing more about CLAA. :)