Menu

McRuffy - Full LA or supplement?

parias1126

I have decided that I am going to purchase the 1st grade McRuffy for my rising 2nd grader. I had planned on using WWE, FFL, Explode the Code, and a Spelling Program. She apparently still needs a lot of first grade phonics review (and her reading shows it) after looking at the McRuffy samples online. I had asked her to read some of the words on the 2nd grade samples. She did tell me the words correctly, but it took her a long time to sound them out. I think we need to BACK UP! :confused:

OK, So now to my question. Is McRuffy a full LA program (which is what I am assuming after looking into it further, but want to make sure), or can I still supplement with FLL? We have already started a bit of FLL and she loves it so I really don't want to take it away, but I don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! I would love to hear from those that are using McRuffy K or 1st as I am definitely getting it for my K'er after seeing how my rising 2nd grader is reading (not so good) after using HOP, Time4Learning and Abeka readers.

I still want to be able to implement copywork an dictation and not sure if McRuffy is set up this way.

Pamela

Edited by parias1126

McRuffy is a full LA program, you won't need to do FLL along with it unless you want to. I won't hurt but isn't necessary. I hope that makes sense. From what we've used the handwriting in McRuffy is copying of things but it's not copywork in the sense that it's from "great literature" like say WWE. Most of the sentences we've copied for McRuffy came from the little readers that you get with the program.

I don't know if you saw it earlier but I just started a McRuffy yahoo group. When I say just, I mean just this morning. There's only 4 of us there now but you're welcome to join, the website is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/McRuffyusers/?yguid=349234663