Menu

TOG Co-op structure

GraceinMD

Last year we didn't have many dialectic or rhetoric students so we combined them, it was tough. This coming year we will probably separate them despite numbers. In speaking to those who would lead the group we are thinking the class would consist of 45 minutes to 1 hour of discussion and 45-30 minutes of various hands-on activities.

it was tough

the class would consist of 45 minutes to 1 hour of discussion and 45-30 minutes of various hands-on activities.

Was it tough because the D students weren't ready for the R-level discussion? Or was it too many kids? Or was it because they weren't reading the same books?

As far as hands-on activities, do you find that the older kids enjoy them? In the group we'll have, I'm wondering if they're ... jaded!

Thanks!

Was it tough because the D students weren't ready for the R-level discussion? Or was it too many kids? Or was it because they weren't reading the same books?

As far as hands-on activities, do you find that the older kids enjoy them? In the group we'll have, I'm wondering if they're ... jaded!

Thanks!

First it was tough for me, I weaved together the dialectic and rhetoric discussions. Some weeks, in year 3 anyway, they were on completely different topics. :tongue_smilie: Also, some of the dialectic students were not confident enough to participate in socratic discussion with high schoolers that's why this year I'm definitely doing a rhetoric only class and the dialectic students will either be on their own, there are 3 of them, or they will be with the UG kids. This year our dialectic students are all 6th graders (I think :confused:)

• 1 month later...
First it was tough for me, I weaved together the dialectic and rhetoric discussions. Some weeks, in year 3 anyway, they were on completely different topics. :tongue_smilie: Also, some of the dialectic students were not confident enough to participate in socratic discussion with high schoolers that's why this year I'm definitely doing a rhetoric only class and the dialectic students will either be on their own, there are 3 of them, or they will be with the UG kids. This year our dialectic students are all 6th graders (I think :confused:)

This was our co-op experience also. We had 5 boys in R and 4 girls in upper D. On the few occasions they combined the boys found their readings didn't match the D readings. If the teacher was the upper D teacher that day, the discussion ended up being meaningless for the R students because she geared her discussions for D.

I taught Lower Dialectic which was primarily 5th-6th, although we had a 7th grader because he didn't want to be in Upper D with a bunch of girls. Their readings were mainly from the D list but the difference was that the Upper D was expected to do a little bit of primary source readings--to help them transition to R--and have more discussion. The readings weren't part of the TOG schedule; the co-op leaders scheduled those in.

Our co-op met for 3 hours, split fairly evenly between history and literature discussions. Lower grammar through lower dialectic was hardest to schedule because we tried to include activities to keep them engaged.

Cinder