Menu

RE: After Chalckdust Prealg....

Thanks Jean, that was my guess, I was just not sure if geometry might be an option. Did you try ordering your CD on the cheap via the Pongo thread that was up several months ago?

Will you use CD geometry?

Algebra 1, then Geometry. I'm on my second student using Chalkdust. I'm with Jean on the review though. My daughter forgets easily but it's not because of Chalkdust. There is a little review section before new each section but we always skip it because we just don't have the time! I was reading an earlier thread on "forgetting algebra" and was encouraged to know that if we will take the time to review it with the student, even if it's a year later, it will come back. For example this year in Algebra 1 we studied Graphs and Functions in Chapter 4 with ordered pairs, slopes, etc. and encountered it again in Chapter 7, Systems of Linear Equations. I just went back to the review section at the end of Chapter 4. Also there are cumulative tests for Chapters 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 that could be used for review. I guess we just need to take the time away from the regular lessons once in a while to review.

I did get the Alg I on the cheap ala Pongo LOL. I am planning on using the new geometry course from CD so I am not sure if I will be able to piece it together or not.

Laurie,

We always skipped the review too and now I am wondering if this is my DD's problem! I am thinking we might go back and do some review from the pre-alg book over the summer.

I am having trouble getting the geometry dvd's. I wonder what's up. Also note that the geometry solutions manual for the new geometry book (referenced on the back of the student text) is a Student Study Guide with solutions to every other odd problem. Not good enough for me, I'm sending it back. So far all I have is the Alexander Geometry text for the new geometry program.

I am having trouble getting the geometry dvd's. I wonder what's up. Also note that the geometry solutions manual for the new geometry book (referenced on the back of the student text) is a Student Study Guide with solutions to every other odd problem. Not good enough for me, I'm sending it back. So far all I have is the Alexander Geometry text for the new geometry program.

Did you buy it from CD or off amazon? I really need a solutions guide!

Algebra 1, then Geometry. I'm on my second student using Chalkdust. I'm with Jean on the review though. My daughter forgets easily but it's not because of Chalkdust. There is a little review section before new each section but we always skip it because we just don't have the time! I was reading an earlier thread on "forgetting algebra" and was encouraged to know that if we will take the time to review it with the student, even if it's a year later, it will come back. For example this year in Algebra 1 we studied Graphs and Functions in Chapter 4 with ordered pairs, slopes, etc. and encountered it again in Chapter 7, Systems of Linear Equations. I just went back to the review section at the end of Chapter 4. Also there are cumulative tests for Chapters 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 that could be used for review. I guess we just need to take the time away from the regular lessons once in a while to review.

I was told when I was in the situation where the algebra (or any other subject actually...) was quickly forgotten that I was doing it too early :001_huh:

It did go better the next year, but did turn out I didn't have a math whiz....he did do well, just didn't get to calculus, that is where it really went wrong in college...