Menu

science for 7th/8th-R.E.A.L. science 4 kids or Interactive singapore?

sadiegirl

We used the Exploring Creation with Zoology this past year(grades 6th and 7th). I was not very science oriented in past years but we managed to read some science every day this year and it went well.

I am looking at R.E.A.L. science 4 kids Chemistry or Singapore Interactive for this year. For those of you that use them, can you tell me what you like and dislike about each?

thanks

RS4K has only chemistry at the middle school level; I have asked if there is any idea as to when biology II and physics II might be available, but I did not receive an answer. [edited to say] From looking at the samples, it looks very thorough, but it does not look like enough instruction for a full year of middle school science (there are only 10 experiements, and 10 sets of review questions, one of each for each chapter). And it is a little pricey for that.

Singapore's Interactive Science is completely secular (I only mention that since you said you used Exploring Creation, and you may or may not want a secular text). The labs can be difficult to do at home, because many of them require hard-core lab equipment and supplies that can be too expensive for the home educator. If, however, you know what you are doing, some supplies can be substituted with cheaper, easier-to-find materials. Or you can do I-Sci without the labs, which is what I'm planning on doing. I am going to use a kit I saw on Rainbow Resource called Milestones in Science for hands-on work. It will not align with Interactive, but I'm okay with that. I chose this route because I believe the Singapore texts go deeper with critical thinking-type questions. And I've been pleased with the math texts, so I'm hoping for another winner.

Edited by LanaTron
restate my observations on RS4K

As the PP said, you could always get a complete middle school science kit like the one by National Geographic for the labs and use the Singapore Interactive Science for the quality text and critical thinking resource that it is. This is my long-term plan. The kits from Thames & Kosmos are really good, and all you need for labs are included.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Myvariousfiles/

A very kind soul put her schedule and supply list for Interactive 1 on her yahoo group. You do have to join the group, but it is not a discussion place, really, just a way for her to share her home school files.

She also has schedules for the primary science series, and other general home school stuff.

HTH

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Myvariousfiles/

A very kind soul put her schedule and supply list for Interactive 1 on her yahoo group. You do have to join the group, but it is not a discussion place, really, just a way for her to share her home school files.

She also has schedules for the primary science series, and other general home school stuff.

HTH

Wow! Thanks!