Menu

Another Simply Charlotte Mason by another poster

HollyDay

I did not want to jump into the other poster's thread, but I have been looking over Simply Charlotte Mason today and I do have some questions. I would like to know more specifics about the various things purchased from Sonya.

The other thread was very positive with lots of: "loved it", "very pleased with it", "enjoyed it" comments. But, I do not know why or what the products offer or do. What is the "Laying Down the Rails" dvd? What does the seminar notebook teach?

I am looking at high school. Will these books/dvds address high school or are they geared more toward elementary? Is CM even doable in high school?

Thanks for the help!

Laying Down the Rails is primarily about establishing good habits and my understanding (I watched the DVD and want to get the book) is the book includes solutions for undoing bad habits.

For instance, my DD12 thinks obedience is optional. Charlotte Mason says you must replace a bad habit with a good one. It's very difficult to just stop doing something cold turkey. So, for my DD, when I ask her to do something she typically argues. We have replaced this bad habit with the good habit of saying "yes M'am". It's actually working and we are gaining more peace in our home.

We want our children to put away their things and not leave them laying around the house. If we see something the kids have left behind, we immediately call them (making them stop whatever they're doing which is a natural consequence) and put away their mess. I had to really twist my DH's arm to get him to step up to the plate and help me with this one. It takes a huge commitment from both Mom & Dad because it's so much easier to just pick stuff up ourselves instead of calling the child and supervising to make sure they do it. This one has been really hard, we have been working on it since June and it's getting better - slowly but surely.

Watching Laying Down the Rails helped get US on the right track to helping our children establish good habits. There's a lot more to the video - it explains the philosophy, methodology, and which habits are the most important.

Is CM even doable in high school?

I have never purchased from Simply Charlotte Mason, but I did want to answer the question about CM for high school.

I am using CM methods with 15yo ds. If anything, I have become more CM in recent years. This year he will be using a combo of AO Yr7 lite and WP QMA with AO Yr9 lite's geography selection, Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings, Jensen's Grammar, SOS Spanish, TT PreCalc, WP HB&F, and Roller Coaster Physics.

CM is a very life building high school experience.

Oh, and I also answered your math questions at the Following Charlotte social group.

HTH-

Mandy