Menu

Questions about Cyber Ed, now Plato, Earth Science

Ruth in NC

I am looking at the Earth Science course for my 12yo 7th grader. I know each kid is different but, in general, is this enough for a whole year? How much supplementing will be needed? I am thinking of adding in some experiments, rocks and minerals kits, and the Boy Scout Merit Badge requirements for Geology and Soil and Water Conservation.

I am trying to decide whether to buy 2 courses instead of just one through the Co-op.

Thanks for any help. Ruth in NC

My son did the Earth Science course last year in 5th grade; it took him about 4 months. It's fun and engaging, but fairly light. But then again, most middle school Earth Science texts I've looked at have seemed light to me. Cybered does cover the same topics as a typical textbook.

You could add the CyberEd Physical Science course and easily finish them both in a year. My son found that one a bit duller and didn't finish it, but that's probably because Newtonian physics is the only branch of science he truly hates, LOL. It did seem meatier to me than the Earth Sciences course, but that's probably because most middle school kids already know about tectonics and volcanoes and the rock cycle, whereas they don't know much about the periodic table and physics, so it just seems like there's a lot more info there.

You could also just do the Cybered Earth Science course and follow it with additional geology study, or do astronomy for the second semester.

Jackie