Menu

Is this a realistic course of study for 3rd and 5th grades?

LNC

We will just read the Apologia Elementary books. They have done the Christian Kids series and Living Learning Books. They have had oodles of life science library book readings from those programs. We will just quickly move through these 2 chapters per week bc these books are so thorough.

Course of Study

2009/2010

Math – Christian Light Education Sunrise 4,5

Bible – Christian Liberty Press C,D

Language Arts – Christian Light Education Sunrise 3,5

Reading – Christian Light Education Sunrise 3 (readers only), 5 (w/ lightunits);

Veritas Lit Guides (Mixed up Files, Misty of Chincoteague & Little Women for 5th) (Boxcar Children & Homer Price for 3rd); Christian Liberty Press C Phonics review for 3rd grade

Spelling – Christian Liberty Press – 2, 5

Vocabulary – Worldy Wise A,B,C and 1,2

Writing – Writing with Ease 2&3 and 3&4

Thinking Skills – DandyLion series, Logic Safari 1&2

Maps/Geography – The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, McGraw-Hill

Science – Apologia Elementary: Zoology 1-3, Botony & Anatomy

History – Truthquest: American History for Young Students 2 w/SOTW parts of 3&4

Edited by LNC

Language Arts – Christian Light Education Sunrise 3,5

Spelling – Christian Liberty Press – 2, 5

Vocabulary – Worldy Wise A,B,C and 1,2

Writing – Writing with Ease 2&3 and 3&4

But doesn't CLE "LA" include spelling and writing? And isn't each level of Wordly Wise intended to be used for a whole year?

Christian Light spelling isn't phonics based, so we supplement w/ CLP. Last year, we skipped the spelling portion of CLE, but we may do it this year. Wordly Wise A,B,C are easily completed in a year. My daughter didn't complete Wordly Wise 1 so she's doing 1/2 of that w/ WW2. It is two word lists per week - not too much... Thanks for your imput Ellie. I'm worried I have too many additional lang. arts programs - that is what drags us down timewise. They all have benefits though.

Anyone else have input?

Yes, I have input! :D

I think you have way more Language Arts going on there than you need.

I'd drop Worldy Wise right off the top. They'll be getting plenty of vocab in all the other LA you've got there... CLP Spelling alone doubles as Vocab, and will be even more so each year. (We've used CLP Spelling all along.) Then you'll have additional vocabulary words & definitions in CLE LA, Reading, WWE, and the VP Comp guides, too... not to mention what they'll be picking up in your history studies.

I would also drop the VP Comp guides. Between the reading and writing comprehension skills in CLE Reading, and the literature you'll be reading as part of TruthQuest and SOTW, you don't need VP lit/comp guides, too. That's just overkill, IMO.

CLP phonics review, too? Is that necessary when you're doing the rules-based CLP spelling? Do you have someone who's still struggling with reading?

There's just a LOT of duplication in skills... not to mention how you're going to fit it all into the schedule without burning out. :001_huh: