Menu

Has anyone here been to Bonaire for the diving?

Have you been to Bonaire?

We're tempted to go this Feb, but aren't sure where it's better to stay. Every diver we know raves about Buddy Dive. Other sources seem to imply that Sand Dollar will be better for a family. There's 5 of us - hubby, myself and our three boys (17, 15, 14 by Feb) and all of us are scuba certified so will be diving. Should we go with the divers and stay at Buddy Dive or go with the 'family' sources and stay in a condo at Sand Dollar?

Any thoughts from BTDT?

Dh and I are both certified. We used to dive frequently. Now, with young children, we don't get much time with the tank.

Where is Bonaire? Where is Sand Dollar?

It's great that your kids are old enough to join you!

I've been to Bonaire! We went 10 years ago for a conference for dh's work. I only snorkeled because I was pregnant, but it is amazing. We stayed at a very nice resort (whose name completely escapes me). With teenagers, I'd probably opt for the diver's recommended spot, but that's a total shot in the dark, sorry.

Dh and I are both certified. We used to dive frequently. Now, with young children, we don't get much time with the tank.

Where is Bonaire? Where is Sand Dollar?

It's great that your kids are old enough to join you!

Our whole family got certified when my youngest was 10 (the youngest age possible to get certification). We love it... but yes, I can definitely relate that going out much with younger children would be difficult.

Anyway, Bonaire is one of the three ABC islands of the Netherland Antilles (the other two being Aruba and Curacao) - it's located a few miles off Venezuela in the southern Caribbean. The whole place is a National Marine Park and it's supposedly fantastic according to every diver I've ever heard from who's been there. There's oodles of shore dives available and most resorts/hotels are located right on a reef (dive from their dock). The place caters to divers (and snorkelers) with most places allowing unlimited diving 24/7. If we can afford it, I'd love to take the boys there before my oldest heads off to college. I guess it's kind of like a diver's mecca...

Buddy Dive is one of the Dive Resorts and the one I've heard that most divers go to. Our local dive shop is taking a trip there the end of March, but I'm thinking I'd rather go as a family than join a group.

Sand Dollar is right down the reef from Buddy Dive and is a resort of rentable condos. People own the condos, but rent them out when they aren't using them themselves.

Based on what I've read, I'm thinking Sand Dollar is quieter - esp at night - as I've heard Buddy Dive's rooms are right next to their bar. However, Buddy Dive definitely caters to diving - which is what we'll be there for. I'm not sure if Sand Dollar matches that convenience or not.

I can see pros and cons of each place and wondered if anyone here might have first hand info.

I've been to Bonaire! We went 10 years ago for a conference for dh's work. I only snorkeled because I was pregnant, but it is amazing. We stayed at a very nice resort (whose name completely escapes me). With teenagers, I'd probably opt for the diver's recommended spot, but that's a total shot in the dark, sorry.

Thanks! I'm glad to know you liked it too... I'm guessing you stayed at the Eden Resort as that's the main one I've seen listed with conferences... and it has a beach. :)