Menu

Okay, people with vegetable gardens

I feel so lame for asking this. I really do eat a lot of vegetables and fruits - way more than 3 - 5 most days.

But a friend had my DH pick up his organic vegetable co-op box this week because he is out of town.

It contained great stuff, but a couple of things i could use help with.

Green beans that are actually like yellow. Would I prepare these in the same manner as a regular green bean? Any great recipe ideas?

And then there are purple beans that are more like the kind you shell. What are these? How do you fix the beans inside? Or are the peas? I know this must seem very ignorant, but there you go.

I guess i expect all vegetable to look the way they do at the grocery:)

Our CSA farm grows a variety of string beans each year - green, yellow, purple, Haricot Vert. They can all be cooked the same way. Keep in mind, though, the purple ones are not purple after being cooked. They're a weird brown color (from the purple fading and the green coming up) when they're still crisp. Don't be weirded out.

:)Are the purple beans like green beans. If so they are called royal burgundy and they lose their color when you cook them. But you cook those and the yellow ones as you would green beans. I like them sauteed with garlic, oil, and green onions

Open one up and see what it looks like inside. It sounds to me like what we used to call a purple-hulled pea or something like that. My Aunt in FL grow tons of them. We would shell the fat ones and snap the skinny ones and boil them with some salt-pork. Yummy-yummy.

I think they are the purple snaps. That's what I call them:), they are really yummy in a Thai Salad.

1/2 small head of cabbage, shredded

2 cups purple beans, sliced thinly on a bias

1/2 bunch green onions, thinly sliced

1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered

1/2 cup basil (finely chopped)

1 1/2 cups Spanish peanuts or pine nuts (optional)

1 jalapeno, seeded and minced

3/4″ piece of ginger, minced or grated

1/4 cup lime juice

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 Tbsp salt