Menu

Quick-- need resume advice!

Okay, I"m applying for a part-time job in my field. The posting says that an Master's is required. There is a very limited field of applicants with experience, of which I am one. Basically, the application is pretty much a formality. At least that's what I've been told by those in the state department of ed. ;-) I don't count chickens, though.

So, I finished half of my master's before my dad got sick and I had to turn my attention to helping an ailing parent deal with cancer/hospice/death, etc. So do I put the dates I was working on my masters, and then list the number of credits I earned?

Or do I just not list my graduate work at all?

thanks for the advice!

astrid

Okay, then.....here's another question:

Objective-- got it

Employment-- how far back should I go? to student teaching?

Education--got it (including MS course work--thanks for the advice!)

What's next??

"Interests" seems cheezy

Objective-- got it

Employment-- how far back should I go? to student teaching?

Education--got it (including MS course work--thanks for the advice!)

What's next??

"Interests" seems cheezy

If it already fills one page, with lots of white space leftover, don't add anything else. Unless you are going for a C-level position (like CEO, CFO) or are a professor with a long list of publications, or a professional writer with a long list of books, etc, you should not have more than one page]:

If you absolutely must add something more to your resume:

list special skills that directly tie in with the job description (asking for computer skills? list Microsoft Office applications. for a teaching job? list machines you know how to work). Never list personal stuff (like birthday, weight, height), never add a photo (unless you are a model or actor).

When you are finished, print out a copy, attach it to a wall, and step back 5 feet. It should look good, balanced, with lots of white space.