Menu

A fun program for K that coordinates read-alouds with lapbooks/projects?

I have the 3 Rs covered for Kindergarten, but I'm trying to find some fun stuff to add to it. I'm looking for something that coordinates read-alouds with lapbooks or projects. I know about FIAR but was wondering if there are any other programs out there? I like the lapbooks on Homeschool share and thought of putting together my own schedule. Maybe someone would be willing to share something they put together?

Thanks!

We used Homeschool Share to do an "Around the World" theme. They have the books arranged geographically already. This can be found under indexes in the blue strip across the top and under this is a geography index. We have been to Africa, Australia and Europe. We have just begun our trip to Asia and within Asia to China. This has been a great way to introduce geography before beginning our history lessons in first grade. It was also a great way to read some really wonderful picture books and, as you know, they have a lot of great lapbooks or notebooking pages to go along with the books. We also used the Geography Resouces a lot. We made "Where in the world is..." maps and flags for every country we went to. I also made dd a passport and we use stickers for the countries we travel to.

HTH:001_smile:

Winter Promise has a program called Hideaways in History that we will be using this year. The basic idea is to use the book "Creating CLever Castles and Cars" to create a play area for children to experience a time and place in history. This program pairs it with "The Story of the World." Each week a different time period and location is used. Looking over the materials, we are excited. Some of ideas include building and decorating a pyramid, the Great Wall of China, American Indian teepee, a bathtub submarine, and several others. I know it sounds overwhelming, but you choose the projects you believe will interest your children the most. Some parents build a project each week, while others build one (or less) a month. Some parents build smaller scale models and decorate (more like a dollhouse).

The main idea is early exposure to cultures and people of history. This program uses all 4 STOW, which has drawn some criticism since these books are designed to be used over a period of years. You would just choose the stories which would capture your children's interest the most.

We did Five in a Row and did a lapbook with every book. On homeschool share, they have tons of FIAR lapbook ideas! My dd loved FIAR, and I hope to row some more books soon.

Check the right side of my blog, I documented all the lapbooks, projects, and art we did with each book.

Ooh, I think I will also do that HSS Around the World idea! This past week my daughter's been asking - When are we going to study Africa? When are we going to study Antarctica? When are we going to study Indonesia? My husband is in Mexico this week and now he wants us to study Mexico.