Menu

Organizing SL with 2 kids

Moxie

I'm trying to organize my year in such a way that very little planning will need to be done throughout the year. I'm having a baby in Oct. and need everything lined up now.

I'm using SL for the first time with my oldest two kids (ages 8 and 6). They will have the same history, geography and Bible but math, religion, grammar, spelling and handwriting are seperate. I also need to keep my core papers neat because I'm planning on saving them for the younger kids.

I was thinking about copying the weekly planning pages for each child and writing the rest of their assignments on the bottom. Each child would have their own 1-inch binder to keep their stuff in and I would just pull out the old stuff and add the new stuff every weekend (so there would only be a week at a time in their small binder).

Does this make sense? Is there a better way to organize this?

I'm doing SL with my two kids, ages 7 and 8. I tried the binder-per-kid thing, and it was just too hard for me to keep on top of. (Not saying it would not work for you - but I am only organized in spurts!) :D

What HAS worked for me - Workboxes (about which you can find many, many threads here) in Sterilite 12" drawers for the kids, and a bin to keep all of my own stuff organized in. Oh, and copying everything you will need ahead of time and having it on hand already.

Melissa,

I didn't find it too hard to organize SL. I had a binder for each subject, science, LA and history (that SL provided), then I pulled the week we were working on and put it into a single binder for myself. I used Excel to make a spreadsheet that showed what to do in other subjects and added that as well. It worked fine. For the books I had a shelf set aside for them that the kiddo's were not allowed to touch (or my oldest would have tried to read them all).

Though one thing you said confused me a little. The kids don't need a copy of the weekly schedule because SL is designed for you to read it to them. If you want them to read it independently then you need to buy a core a couple of numbers below their grade level. You probably know that, but I am just checking. :D My guess is you just want to utilize the boxes they provide for you.

Heather

I have a weekly schedule sheet for each child and fill in on the sheet what they should do for the week. That also includes filling in the SL portions of our week. So, I look ahead at the SL schedule and fill in what each child needs to do/read on their own weekly shedule sheet. They can then tick it off as they have completed each item. Works for us...:)

Hope that makes sense.

Melissa,

Though one thing you said confused me a little. The kids don't need a copy of the weekly schedule because SL is designed for you to read it to them. If you want them to read it independently then you need to buy a core a couple of numbers below their grade level. You probably know that, but I am just checking. :D My guess is you just want to utilize the boxes they provide for you.

Heather

Sorry I confused you! I have two VERY different children. One will sit and happily stare out the window for hours without hand-holding. The other is very proud when all work is completed in a timely manner; she is very frustrated by the stop and start of waiting for Mom to be able to help. I need to have it all laid out so I don't have to bounce back and forth more then is necessary. Plus, I don't want to loose too much time when the baby is born; it would be really nice to hand the books to Grandma and say 'here is what we do'.

Sorry I confused you! I have two VERY different children. One will sit and happily stare out the window for hours without hand-holding. The other is very proud when all work is completed in a timely manner; she is very frustrated by the stop and start of waiting for Mom to be able to help. I need to have it all laid out so I don't have to bounce back and forth more then is necessary. Plus, I don't want to loose too much time when the baby is born; it would be really nice to hand the books to Grandma and say 'here is what we do'.

Oh that is a good idea!! I took a whole year off when my last was born, so you are braver than I was. :blink:

Heather