Menu

Maine vacation for next year????

We go for a couple of weeks in September and stay at Niboban.

We used to stay at a private camp in Roxbury, but it has been sold.

Niboban is beautiful, quiet, right on Rangeley Lake. We watch moose graze on the central lawn and listen to the loons. There is no tv except in the common room in the office/activity building.

We head to the western mountains region because I grew up in Rumford and my dad lives in Byron, so I'm just parking myself "home" for a couple of weeks.

There are a number of ski resorts in the area that have summer activities, fishing, canoeing on the lake, lots of hiking, and it's close to the Quebec border. That said, we're 2 hours from everything else - it's a running joke, actually - so we plan a few day trips to Portland/Freeport for the beach and shopping, hiking in my dad's favorite fishing spots, etc.

We've also tent camped around, in Bar Harbor, Freeport, and Andover (where the space station is). It was great, but we were moving every few days and that was a pain.

Oh! You have to go to Acadia National Park! We camped there twice and it is just beautiful. One night we walked from our campsite to sit on the rocks by the ocean. There was no moon and we could see every star in the universe (it seemed). There are also miles and miles of hiking trails and roads that are open only to pedestrians, bikes, and horses. It isn't too far from Bar Harbor, which is adorable. I can't say enough good things about it.