Menu

Lessons in Responsibility; boys vs. girls

I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the Lessons in Responsibility series by Pearables. I'm particularly interested in any comparisons between the boys series and girls series. From the reviews at RR, it seems that the girls series focuses mostly on cooking/baking skills whereas the boys series seems to include a larger number of "life skills" that are useful for everyone. Could the two books be used for both genders or is too much gender-focused material included?

I've never seen the boy ones, so can't comment on those. I have the first one for girls. The lessons could mostly be used for boys, certainly--there are sections on cooking, sewing, cleaning, and organization. A boy might not care about learning to sew a buttonhole (box) stitch, but most things will apply to anyone. However, the book itself is quite sexist and I wouldn't recommend actually showing it to any boy you plan to teach it to.

If you go to the Pearables website, there is a list of chapter headings for the girls' books, and I presume the boys' books as well.

ETA that I have used the first book successfully and do plan to get the others, despite the awful illustrations and sexism. Because I'm no good at thinking this stuff up, and they are pretty decent lessons.

However, the book itself is quite sexist and I wouldn't recommend actually showing it to any boy you plan to teach it to.

ETA that I have used the first book successfully and do plan to get the others, despite the awful illustrations and sexism. Because I'm no good at thinking this stuff up, and they are pretty decent lessons.

Can you explain what's sexist about it? I don't have the book. Is it stuff like, a girl should do this, boys should do this, this is woman's work, this is man's work, etc...?

It's nothing all that overt like that, just that the series assumes that the lessons are for girls and mothers to do, and that the girls will grow up to be homemakers. It's clear that the authors are coming from a very conservative Christian background, with the assumptions that women are to be in the home and not working outside it. I would not say that they assume a woman's homemaking role to be inferior or anything like that. (But I would bet that they subscribe to wifely submission etc. though there is nothing like that in the book.)

I think it may partly grate on me more than it should, because I'm not coming from the same kind of background. So even though I'm all for having a parent at home raising the kids and so on, I'd still prefer something more unisex, meant to teach boys and girls similar skills. Which I have not found. And I do think this is a good series--just don't show it to a boy if you're giving him the lessons!

I'd be very interested to see the boys' series and compare.

We love these books!!! The girl books focus more on cooking/cleaning - but my sons join in too. The boy books (we have the first two) focus on being a gentleman. I.e. grooming, courtesy and social skills. That has been the very best book to help my son with mild mr/ autism. Most of the boy topics are actually things I would kind of forget to emphasize, so I'm glad I have them.