Menu

Question About Kid Lit

Impish

(xpost from general board)

Ok, this is something that I'm not sure has come up before, so if it is, I apologize.

I've looked at different catalogues for curric, literature listing, etc. I run into a bit of a problem when it comes to American/Canadian history. Here's an example:

I bought Sign of the Beaver for Diva. The language used to describe First Nations people was offensive, as were the initial statements about them. Of course part of the point of the novel was learning that gee, they are people just like the European settlers! :glare: I've also run across another novel (haven't picked it up or read it, so don't know what its about in depth) titled, "Indian Captive". I wince at the title.

My husband is Metis...his mother was First Nations (in Canada, its the term used instead of Native American) and his father was Swedish/Norwegian. Our daughter reading books that put his heritage in somewhat of a negative light isn't particularily what I'm interested in doing.

Any suggestions of novels that might have a POSITIVE look at First Nations culture that doesn't start out with killing/kidnapping/ignorant assumptions based on racism?

Yes, I realize that its the way it was then, and sometimes is the way it is now...we live enough of it, she doesn't need it in her literature. I'd love to be able to find a novel set in the same time era as Little House but looking at First Nations way of life, something without culture bashing on any side. Anyone have any suggestions?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I bought Sign of the Beaver for Diva. The language used to describe First Nations people was offensive, as were the initial statements about them. Of course part of the point of the novel was learning that gee, they are people just like the European settlers! :glare: I've also run across another novel (haven't picked it up or read it, so don't know what its about in depth) titled, "Indian Captive". I wince at the title.

My husband is Metis...his mother was First Nations (in Canada, its the term used instead of Native American) and his father was Swedish/Norwegian. Our daughter reading books that put his heritage in somewhat of a negative light isn't particularily what I'm interested in doing.

Any suggestions of novels that might have a POSITIVE look at First Nations culture that doesn't start out with killing/kidnapping/ignorant assumptions based on racism?

Yes, I realize that its the way it was then, and sometimes is the way it is now...we live enough of it, she doesn't need it in her literature. I'd love to be able to find a novel set in the same time era as Little House but looking at First Nations way of life, something without culture bashing on any side. Anyone have any suggestions?

First off, check out this thread. It has this link, which is a list of books about Native Americans to avoid for various reasons. Indian Captive isn't on the list but Sign of the Beaver is.

Equally helpful is their catalog of good and accurate books about Native Americans. For your Little House type book, you should try Birchbark House, which is not only recommended and in their catalog, it's also well-reviewed and has two sequels.

:001_smile:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I've also run across another novel (haven't picked it up or read it, so don't know what its about in depth) titled, "Indian Captive". I wince at the title.

Hmm. I remembered that I bought this in a lot of books a while back. This is from the back of the book:

"Twelve-year-old Mary Jemison took her peaceful days on her family's farm in eastern Pennsylvania for granted. But on a spring day in 1758, something happened that changed her life forever. A band of warriors invaded the house and took the Jemison family captive. Mary was separated from her parents and brothers and sister. She traveled with the Indians to southern Ohio and later to a Seneca village on the Genesee River in what is now western New York.

Mary's new life was not easy. She missed her family terribly, and she was unaccustomed to Seneca ways. Several times she even tried to run away. But the Indians were kind to her and taught her many things about the earth, its plants, and its creatures. She became a sister to animals and to all growing things. Then Mary was finallly given the chance to return to the world of the white men. But she had also become a sister to the Indians. How could she leave them?

Based on a true story, here is the unforgettable tale of the legendary 'White Woman of the Genesee.'"

I would probably give it to a discerning 10 year old and see what kind of conversations it would provoke. I guess you can't necessarily judge a book by its cover...or its title.

I'd really prefer not to get into the whole kidnapping scenario, but rather look at the First Nations culture from *their* point of view, rather than an outside looking in, once again, "Oh, gee, they aren't really savage, they're people!" dawning comprehension :glare: I'd rather find novels for her that assume that as fact to start with, rather than 'discover' it.

If you're looking for novels from "their" point of view:

We enjoyed Ken Thomasma's books Naya Nuki and Om-Kas-Toe. Both are about Native Americans. It's been awhile since I read them but I can't even remember any white characters so there's no "savages" or racial assumptions there between Whites and Native Americans.

Naya Nuki involves kidnapping, (but it's a rival Native American Nation kidnapping her from her people), but she escapes and the book is the story of how she gets back to her people. She was a friend of Sacagewea (they were kidnapped together but Sacagewea did not escape). My dd read it at 10 and has reread it several times since them.

Om-Kas-Toe is about the Blackfeet tribe getting "elkdogs" (horses) for the first time. The tribes/nations (I don't know what the pc term is in Canada, I mean no offense with the terms I use:D) are depicted as being cruel to other tribes at times. But, it doesn't come with the assumption that Native Americans are inherently savage or cruel, you see them being very caring and loving and cooperative within their own tribes.

Hope this is helpful!

I'm sympathetic to your concerns. I am not American Indian, but I go out of my way to find books that show them in a respectful way.

Check out Oyate: http://www.oyate.org/

Also, since you're Canadian, I know that Groundwood Books/Anansi published a lot of GOOD First Nations books: http://www.groundwoodbooks.com/

Finally, there's a really wonderful, informative blog by Debbie Reese that I cannot recommend enough: http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/