Menu

Saxon Math 87, algebra 1/2

Pip

I have seen differing opinons on these 2. My dd needs some reinforcement of skills because she is not quite ready for algebra. I have seen skip 87 and just do algebra 1/2, I have seen skil 1/2 and do 87. I have heard the one to skip changed with the new addtions.

bottom line, I just need help. (yes, that is a loaded request but let's just stick with math.)

We're completing both books. In my editions, Saxon 87 is formatted like the previous books 54, 65, and 76. Saxon Algebra 1/2 is formatted like the high school books. Both books cover similar material, but Alg 1/2 has more difficult and challenging problems. If you are using the current editions, I believe the recommendation is to use 87 and skip Alg 1/2 if your child is doing well with 87. If not, complete Alg 1/2 as well. If you are using older editions, the recommendation is to skip 87 and move directly to Alg. 1/2.

We've chosen to do both books, because I ended up with 2 years of pre-algebra (due to moving) and thrived with math in highschool. I want my children to have the same foundation when they start high school math.

Bet of luck! :001_smile:

If you are using the newest edition start with 8/7 and if they have 80% mastery with it then move on to algebra. If they have some difficulty with 8/7 then move on to algebra 1/2 and then algebra. I believe it is the other way around with the older versions.

We're going from Saxon 7/6 into Algebra 1/2 (third edition) for the upcoming school year. My rationale:

My son is a strong math student and he didn't miss a beat with the latter part of Saxon 7/6. A number of Saxon BTDT folks indicated to me that if students cruise through 7/6 with solid understanding, especially while working the home stretch, moving to Alg 1/2 should work out fine. If my son had done fair to middlin' with Saxon 7/6, or I felt further reinforcement of some concepts might be needed, I'd have gone with Saxon 8/7.

I've never laid eyes on Saxon 8/7, but the Alegbra 1/2 text is little different than 7/6. The student won't see worksheet pages with quick facts and mental math warm-ups are absent in Algebra 1/2. The teaching text within each lesson is more concise. If a student requires a more detailed, sequential, or gentle explanation of new ideas, the jump to Alg 1/2 might throw them a bit.

Hope this helps some,