Menu

Lightning Lit users --do you also use

momtotkbb

Using both at the same time would be unnecessary. IMO, Jamestown is better for the child who prefers or needs their literature in small bites. For the child who struggles with LL, who maybe isn't ready for longer writing assignments, who needs a bit more hand-holding when it comes to reading comprehension.

It isn't a bad program. It didn't excite me. For the money, it did the job but I wasn't so thrilled with it that I'll use it again. If I'm going to use a textbook for a literature program (and Jamestown is a textbook) I'll use Mosdos instead.

Using both at the same time would be unnecessary. IMO, Jamestown is better for the child who prefers or needs their literature in small bites. For the child who struggles with LL, who maybe isn't ready for longer writing assignments, who needs a bit more hand-holding when it comes to reading comprehension.

It isn't a bad program. It didn't excite me. For the money, it did the job but I wasn't so thrilled with it that I'll use it again. If I'm going to use a textbook for a literature program (and Jamestown is a textbook) I'll use Mosdos instead.

Now that I know what it is, I think :iagree:. From what I can tell by looking at Hewitt's site, the introductory level is intended for students in grades 5 and 6, and the recommended course for 7th & 8th is Lightning Lit. I think the Best books are there for children who aren't quite ready for the longer works covered in LL 7&8.

I checked the Glenco website (they publish this) and this is what they say about the series:

• Five genres, each in three levels, let students study a particular kind of writing at the appropriate reading level

• Emphasis on reading skills helps students who have difficulty with a traditional literature anthology

• Integration of reading and writing encourages students to study how authors construct their works and then to try to emulate stylistic elements

Rescue bored readers by introducing them to the many exciting forms of literature. The Best series collects superb nonfiction, play scripts, poetry, short stories, and stand-alone chapters of longer works, so you can quickly find well-crafted selections that reflect student interests. Best of all, we've tailored the series to three reading levels, making it the perfect tool for reaching out to students of any ability who aren't succeeding with more traditional anthologies.

• Introductory: Reading Level 5-6, Interest Level 6-8

• Middle: Reading Level 7-8, Interest Level 6-10

• Advanced: Reading Level 9-12, Interest Level 9-12

Here's a link to the Glenco site if you think it might be helpful.

http://www.glencoe.com/catalog/index.php/subject?c=1673&s=21863

As Bee mentioned, to use both would be unnecessary; and from what I can tell, probably redundant.

JMO - HTH