Menu

Getting Started - Scheduling

Scrappy11

Okay, I'm sure this question has been asked many millions of times, but I couldn't find what I was looking for by searching the forum . . . How do you know how much time your child should be spending on school? My dd w/be in 8th grade. We HS'd for the first time last year. I've had other HS parents tell me so much of what they do in public school is "busy work", so I assume she doesn't need to spend as much time on school as she would in PS. Even if I follow a daily plan from the curriculum provider, sometimes it seems like it takes longer than I think we should be spending on it. But how do I know if I'm right?! And how do you choose what they skip? I'm trying to plan her schedule for next year, and I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

Thanks!

Okay, I'm sure this question has been asked many millions of times, but I couldn't find what I was looking for by searching the forum . . . How do you know how much time your child should be spending on school? My dd w/be in 8th grade. We HS'd for the first time last year. I've had other HS parents tell me so much of what they do in public school is "busy work", so I assume she doesn't need to spend as much time on school as she would in PS. Even if I follow a daily plan from the curriculum provider, sometimes it seems like it takes longer than I think we should be spending on it. But how do I know if I'm right?! And how do you choose what they skip? I'm trying to plan her schedule for next year, and I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

Thanks!

It really depends on the child and/or state laws. It can take from 4 to 6 hours a day. Sometimes your child will finish early.

Here is an article to assist you with your child's schedule.

http://www.homeschooling-ideas.com/home-school-schedule.html

I've homeschooled grades 3-7 and 9-12 -- just starting 8th next year :) Here's how I do it.

We follow the public school hours. This year, ds will be "in school" from 8 to 2:30 (8th grade).

Grades 3 through 7, if he didn't finish during those hours, he still was done with school for the day. No homework. No extended hours.

The only "homework" exception was if dawdling was getting really out of hand -- then I would calmly take the work and tell him that enough time had been spent & he could finish it at 2:30. Usually only takes 1 time per year to get the point across.

If we have extra time, then I have fun stuff on hand to fill the rest of the day. He's still in school til the school day is done, but it can be fun school.

By 8th grade there are real "grades" for some things, like science quizzes. If he gets below a C, then he has "homework" and even "summer school" or re-teaching the course (sometimes with a different curriculum for older dd).

The biggest thing is the transition. This year should be much easier !!

As far as what to skip, don't waste time on things she knows. My ds didn't need spelling, my dd didn't need grammar. Don't make her do 1,000 math problems if she's mastered the topic. Don't expect perfection, just expect advancement. As my son would remind you, in public school you don't have to know the answer to every question because the rest of the class is there to answer some of them. There were a lot of group projects in public school, so one child didn't do every thing himself. And unless your using materials specifically written for homeschooling, then public school teachers may well not finish that book in a year.

Edited by Julie in MN