Menu

What do I need to know about keeping a backup of my laptop?

I am considering buying an external harddrive to backup my laptop's files onto. What do I need to know about this? I currently only have a saved backup file on my laptop, no disks.....bad habit, I know!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I am considering buying an external harddrive to backup my laptop's files onto. What do I need to know about this? I currently only have a saved backup file on my laptop, no disks.....bad habit, I know!

:bigear:

I would love to hear more about this. I back up my iTunes regularly and have uploaded my Word/Excel/Adobe files to my Hotmail storage. Of course, if the house goes up in flames, my backup iTunes discs wouldn't be any help and I wince at the financial hit I would take. Gee, I wouldn't even be able to remember everything I have on there! Maybe I would get lucky and be carrying my iPod at the time... Same risk with an external drive though...something to consider. Online storage would be best but I don't know that I would trust one source alone. My Hotmail storage is free and they'll let me store tons through their SkyDrive feature. It's not secure (by that I mean I wouldn't trust it to be 100% private, not that it's open for all to see) but I don't have any personal info on there, really. If someone wants to steal my homeschool schedules and HEB aisle-by-aisle shopping list, they can feel free. :lol:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I use on of these storage devices. It's set to back up everything twice a week, and my school stuff more often. I use it for all of the computers in the house, and have one section that I use as an external device for important files such as pictures.

I guess if anything ever happened to it and the computers, we'd be lost. I do keep it near a window and door, so if the house starts to burn I may be able to grab it on the way out. I also burn a lot of files on DVD to keep in our safe deposit box. I keep two sets of rewritable DVDs, one in the safe deposit box and one at home. Whenever I have to do some banking, I just burn DVDs with the latest info and exchange it with the ones in there. There's no schedule to when I switch them out, I just do it whenever I remember. I should probably be more disciplined about it, though.

If it helps, we use Carbonite.com. $50 a year, it's always there, we never have to think about it.

Just a thought!

:001_smile:

I second Carbonite.com. It's great. We used to have an external back-up drive. Both it AND our computer failed within a week of eachother. All those pictures ...

Carbonite is a program, internet based, that runs in the background. They backup everything on dual servers. To lose your info, you computer and both of their storage servers (in different physical locations) would have to go belly up. Best $50 EVER.