Menu

Question for those living in the vicinity of Annapolis, Maryland...

Our soldier-girl dd will be relocating to the Annapolis area soon, if plans do not change. She already has temporary military housing for the time being.

Where are the most economical areas to live? The cost of living in Annapolis is more than she needs to take on.

I'm sure there are smaller communities in the surrounding area that are more economical. She does not mind commuting by car within reasonable distance.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Oooh, that's sort of hard. Anything in the area is really sort of spendy.

The Eastern Shore (past Kent Island) can be much more manageable, but there's the commute. My husband is an Annapolis firefighter and we live about 45 minutes (all driving) away. I used to commute from here out past Ft. Meade, it's not bad.

The husband says there are apartments for rent in Annapolis proper for around $1000, which is about the same price range as when I was newly out on my own in Annapolis 20 years ago. (He might be insane. ;))

I can probably give better information on specific areas but, generally speaking Anne Arundel county is just plain pricey.

Our soldier-girl dd will be relocating to the Annapolis area soon, if plans do not change. She already has temporary military housing for the time being.

Where are the most economical areas to live? The cost of living in Annapolis is more than she needs to take on.

I'm sure there are smaller communities in the surrounding area that are more economical. She does not mind commuting by car within reasonable distance.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

and Howard. Listed in order of lowest to highest. Baltimore County is not too bad either esp if she is close to 97 which shoots down to Annapolis.

......The Eastern Shore (past Kent Island) can be much more manageable, but there's the commute. ......

You neglected to mention a key feature of the commute. There is this bridge.......this very HIGH bridge.......this very l o n g bridge.

Also, for MyCrazy..., what is the commute like on Fri pm in summer?

You neglected to mention a key feature of the commute. There is this bridge.......this very HIGH bridge.......this very l o n g bridge.

Also, for MyCrazy..., what is the commute like on Fri pm in summer?

It's actually less heinous than one would imagine. From here - 8 miles from the DE border - I also used to travel to customers in Tysons and to Ft. McNair. The commute was about 1 hr 15 minutes to Ft. McNair, about 1 hr 45 to Tysons (straight through town and out 66 - it's MUCH longer taking the beltway).

Anyway, bridge craziness seems to have waves. Around 3:00, the people who took Friday off (or a half day) hit it, and then around 7:00 the people who worked Friday hit it. 404 is a nightmare, though, but it's 2 lanes (one each direction) and few turn-offs (unless you're local and know what lies on the other side of the corn fields... bwahahahahahahah!)

Interestingly, the evening commute is always heavier than the morning... I wonder where the extra people come from?

(Also, I am going to assume one willing to be armed and shipped overseas to relatively unknown dangers would be ok with a piddly little 4 mile bridge. ;))

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

.....(Also, I am going to assume one willing to be armed and shipped overseas to relatively unknown dangers would be ok with a piddly little 4 mile bridge. ;))

I used to do roof inspections, up tall ladders, across catwalks that gave with every step, in heels and skirt. I've had the in-house tradesmen threaten to pluck me off a rickity contractor's ladder if I dared to go up it......... I don't care. That bridge gives me the willies!.......

But I do admit I sometimes took a deep breath and ran across some things when inspecting roofs :D

(Also, I am going to assume one willing to be armed and shipped overseas to relatively unknown dangers would be ok with a piddly little 4 mile bridge. ;))

But those are the most dangerous ones!:) PTSD'ers backed up in miles of traffic with no way out.....wouldn't want to be in the car with her!

Seriously though, things like the bridge commute are good to be forewarned about. She's already mentioned that booger. Of course, the commute from the Baltimore area isn't great either. She'll be at Ft. Meade for a while.

But those are the most dangerous ones!:) PTSD'ers backed up in miles of traffic with no way out.....wouldn't want to be in the car with her!

Seriously though, things like the bridge commute are good to be forewarned about. She's already mentioned that booger. Of course, the commute from the Baltimore area isn't great either. She'll be at Ft. Meade for a while.

Oh! Annapolis Junction! If she'll be at Ft. Meade, I would totally look at Laurel, Columbia, and out 32 toward Westminster. North to Ellicott City (REALLY good Thai place off 108). Elkridge is about 10 minutes up Rt. 1, as is Jessup.

The Millersville/Crownsville area is nice. Can be pricey or not. Glen Burnie is close, can be nice, or not.

Actually, anything in that area - which is older homes, mostly, with new development squeezed in, can be scary expensive or ridiculously inexpensive and it depends on the individual place. I lived for a while in Herald Harbor (Crownsville) which, as the name implies, is a waterfront community. Lovely, quiet, wooded, but the majority of homes were 1940s summer cottages, so it was very inexpensive (of course that was quite a while ago). About a mile away, because you have to skirt the water, is Sherwood Forest - gated, exclusive, very high real estate. The whole area is like that - depends on which little nook you look in.

My brother in law's wife is going to be stationed in SC soon, and they're in Glen Burnie (the old part of town, with trees and established neighborhoods). I can ask what their plan is for his house, if you like. I think his wife (I guess she would be my SIL, huh? They just got married, so I'm rather unused to that) is at Ft. Meade right now, or NSA. Same thing, location wise.

(also, you don't need PTSD to develop road rage in the Annapolis area - the tourists are quite enough.)

I have lived in Laurel and Ellicott City, and Ellicott City is much, much nicer and safer. If she has a family or kids, I would vote for Ellicott City or Columbia if she is working at Ft. Detrick.

If she is really going to be working IN Annapolis (not Annapolis Junction) then someplace in town would be the best, especially if she is single. Annapolis is such a fun town. And I agree with whoever suggested Millersville if she wants a quiet, small suburb close to Annapolis. I would stay away from Bowie and Laurel myself.