Menu

Unit study on guns?

Follstad

Hello,

My almost 7 year old son is not all that into learning. At least in the traditional way; sitting and listening to mom read, question and answer. My daughter soaks it all in, and WANTS to learn. SO, I am trying, desperately, so follow his interests and make 'learning' more exciting for him. Right now, he is very into guns. We fought it for years, but now we're just trying to teach him everything about them, safety, parts, history. I want to put together some kind of unit study, but this is just not my forte. I need a little help. Has anyone done anything like this, or know of a unit study on guns that already exists??

I'm just not very creative and tend to need stuff mapped out for me to get it done. Any advice??

Thank you!

Sarah

I don't know about unit studies, but my son watches a lot of the military channel and some history channel shows on weaponry. We don't even own a gun and he can tell you anything about them. He identifies them in movies we watch. It quite amazing what he has picked up.

However, at 7 you may want to monitor what he watches.

Here's a link to some books on the history of guns. Perhaps a book from DK that has good photos.

I would do "war" unit studies. My son LOVES guns - we have them because of our farm but personally I can't stand them. Check to see if locally you have a 4-H program.... we have a Shooting Club (but your son wouldn't be old enough yet - but they might help guide you) where both my kids learn safety etc.