Menu

Advice: New Grammar curriculum due to Achievement scores

kclopez

My ds is going into 7th grade. Home schooled for first time in 6th grade. He came out of private school that was using a traditional grammar textbook. This year we tried Seton Home School English (uses Voyages and workbooks) but it wasn't working for us. (WAY too much "busy" work, jumped around between books) We used Shurley 6 and diagramming the rest of the year and it SEEMED to work. He could really identify parts of speech, etc. But, really dorpped in language mechanics and oral expression on the SAT. I now know I need to add a writing component. We are using IEW history themed program this year. BUT, what do I do about getting him back up in the grammar. If I switch to R&S do I really need to go back to 5th grade book as WTM recommends. Does new edition of WTM have any new grammar recommendations? I'm thinking of Daily GRams also to get even more practice at the mechanics.

Thanks,

Karen

My ds is going into 7th grade. Home schooled for first time in 6th grade. He came out of private school that was using a traditional grammar textbook. This year we tried Seton Home School English (uses Voyages and workbooks) but it wasn't working for us. (WAY too much "busy" work, jumped around between books) We used Shurley 6 and diagramming the rest of the year and it SEEMED to work. He could really identify parts of speech, etc. But, really dorpped in language mechanics and oral expression on the SAT. I now know I need to add a writing component. We are using IEW history themed program this year. BUT, what do I do about getting him back up in the grammar. If I switch to R&S do I really need to go back to 5th grade book as WTM recommends. Does new edition of WTM have any new grammar recommendations? I'm thinking of Daily GRams also to get even more practice at the mechanics.

Thanks,

Karen

The new WTM recommends the following programs for grammar stage in this order:

6th: Rod & Staff: level 6, Progressing with Courage, Voyages in English: level 6; Shurley English: level 5

7th: Rod & Staff: level 7, Building Securely; Voyages: level 7; Shurley: level 6

8th: Rod & Staff: level 8, Preparing for Usefulness; Voyages, level 8; Shurley: level 7

It does mention, again, if you are just beginning formal grammar and plan on using R&S that you should start with the 5th grade book, Progressing with Courage. Apparently this is a mistake which was carried forward from the 2nd edition. Back in 2004 SWB noted a mistake in the book which is as follows:

September 23, 2004

Progressing with Courage Grade-Level Adjustment

In the last section on page 343, we recommend the Rod & Staff book Progressing with Courage for seventh- or eight-grade students just beginning formal grammar. We incorrectly note it as the fifth-grade text, when it is, in fact, the sixth-grade text.

SWB also goes on to recommend in the new edition, which I believe she also stated in the previous, that if using Shurley, you need to add in separate writing, outlining, and diagramming programs.

Her recommendations for writing are in this order: Writing Strands, IEW, Wordsmith, and Classical Writing.

For outlining she suggests: Frank Schaffer's Note Taking & Outlining series or Mary Mueller's Study Skills Strategies: Outlining.

For diagramming she suggests: The First Whole Book of Diagrams or Better Sentence Structure Through Diagramming series.

HTH

Thank you - this is extremely helpful! Bummer, I finally broke down and ordered the Remedia outlining workbooks they recommended in the last edition. I just got them today (pricey due to shipping) and they seem a bit too low for ds. Maybe we'll start there and look at the others said WTM mentioned.

I do appreciate your quick feedback!

Karen

Ds was in fourth grade when I used Rod Staff Eng. 4 and it remediated him in no time at all with language arts. I used RS Eng 2 and 3 previous to this but I only did it orally. With the RS Eng. 4, ds did all the exercises, oral and written, and I saw a dramatic increase in his language arts score with CA STAR testing. I imagine it would be the same thing with the upper grades. I just made sure ds gets it by slowing and taking more time in certain topic to make sure ds is getting it.

Now that my dss have stopped bombarding me with questions and I've had a chance to re-read your post, I'll offer up another possibility.

You mentioned that you used Shurley 6 this past year. Based on SWB recommendations, that level would be used in 7th grade. Keeping that, and the R&S clarification in mind, you might be able to use either the R&S 6th or 7th grade books.

I think the issue with dc in higher grades that don't have a strong background in grammar going into grade level R&S books, is not only the grammar but the level of diagramming that is taught. Considering the grammar that is taught in Shurley 6, I would think the R&S 6 book would be a very safe placement. Your ds might have already covered some of the grammar taught in it, but it would be a good place to pick up diagramming.

A friend of mine whose son had been in ps, started homeschooling this past year and used Shurley 6 without separate writing, diagramming, and outlining programs. Like your ds, her ds also had problems with the mechanics when she tested him at the end of the year. Because of this she is planning on using R&S 6 next year.

Just a thought. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm terribly off base with this idea.:)

Hi Karen,

I love Analytical Grammar. It's actually recommended in TWTM for 9th and 10th grade. We are using it for 6th-7th-8th, where it was intended. The AG website has videos that are very helpful in explaining the program. I love AG because it is clear, concise, and efficient. I do use a separate spelling and writing curriculum. If you are interested, you can read my review in this thread.

Edited by Sue in St Pete