Menu

What subjects do you stop teaching in high school?

I'm wondering what subjects do you generally quit teaching formally in high school? Are there subjects that you covered so comprehensively in the earlier grades that you feel your child has mastered them by high school? Or are there skills that you just continue practicing, but don't set aside a time slot to formally go over them?

Thanks for your feedback.

Holly in N NV

Although many people don't stop grammar-not sure if that is equally divided. We stopped Latin because French and Latin were taking up too much time and I felt that we would make more progress by devoting more time to one language.

In general, though, I found that we had many more subjects in earlier years, but we devoted much less time to each. Next year, for 9th, we will be down to 7 subjects at about an hour a day each. And we'll probably have to give up read aloud time, unless I can squeeze it in during art...

We finished up spelling in sixth grade and then moved through vocabulary study in grades 7-

9, finishing that up, as well. If my son had not returned to public school, we would have finished up his grammar work this year, in tenth grade. We would have continued to concentrate on literature and writing.

He finished Latin II last year, in ninth, and decided not to pursue Latin further. He is pursuing Spanish, instead. He finished logic work in ninth grade. He finished up some of his lighter electives last year, too, such as health, PE, and humanities (aka art appreciation or art history). This would have freed him up to specialize more during his senior high years....

Regena