Menu

IEW US History Based Writing Lessons

mazakaal

I have never looked at IEW because I thought that it was too expensive with all the dvds, etc. I just discovered these IEW workbooks on another thread. Has anyone used this one in particular? I plan on doing American history with my 6th & 8th graders next year and am wondering if this would work for them. They both hate writing.

The younger is actually pretty good at writing, but just doesn't enjoy it. I'm working through Writing Skills 1 with him right now and planned on finishing it next year and moving on to Writing Skills 2. It's good basic lessons on how to do a reason paragraph, example paragraph, etc.

I've never found anything that works for my oldest for writing. He hates to do it and struggles and doesn't want to put any effort it, so his work is usually extremely basic and not very good. I was still undecided on what to use for writing for him. I'm thinking about using CLE language arts which I understand has writing in it, and I thought I'd buy Jensen's Format Writing because it looked pretty straightforward.

Now that I've discovered this IEW workbook, I'm wondering if it would kill two birds with one stone so I could teach them together and help tie their writing into their history lessons.

So, have you used this? Did you like it? Would it work for very reluctant writers?

I used it with my older ds and will begin it again with my younger ds. It starts very gently with poems & then slowly ramps up. I worked really well for my reluctant writer. I have the older version. I like the vocabulary cards too!! I highly recommend IEW HBWL.

I have this book -- you could use the selected material for imitation and analysis -- according to whatever writing method you know.

The books, as you probably know, strongly urge people to be "up to speed" on the IEW method of teaching structure and style. The worksheets are laid out according to the IEW method.

I'm with you -- I love that the writing lessons will follow along our history readings.

HTH,

Sandy

I am going through this program for the 2nd time now. My oldest did it first and now my middle dd is halfway through. She did volume 1 for 8th grade and will do volume 2 for 9th grade.

While it would be helpful to have watched at least some of the TWSS tapes, I don't think they're absolutely necessary. I think the teacher book for USHBWL does a great job of teaching you what you need to know.

I prefer text-based programs over video-based programs and have a much easier time working with them.