Menu

Close call ... I think!

I took my van in for a lot of scheduled 'stuff' this week, getting it ready for a long trip.

One of my stops was the mechanics to get a fuel-something-or-other (my van doesn't have a fuel filter), a new engine belt and an oil change.

It was storming when they were done and even with the rain and thunder I heard a very gentle "tap-tap-tap...." as I drove away. So I circled around the parked cars and drove back to the bay. After inspecting the van the mechanics realized they forgot to put oil back in!!!!! They tried to pass it off as confusing the engine size and only needing to top it off - but I stood there are watched them add several liters of oil - I don't think it is possible there was any in there at all.

Do you think the 30 or so feet I drove hurt the engine? For now on I am going to check oil when it is changed ... or just do it myself!

I can't say whether or not any damage was done by your driving, but if I were you I would speak to the shop manager and get a statement - in writing, if possible - that they will repair any damage that shows up within the next few days or weeks (some reasonable amount of time). Don't know what they will agree to, but if a problem develops, you don't want them "forgetting" the incident. JMO.