Menu

Happy Phonics or OPG???

2greatkids

My DD will b 4.5 when big bro's school year starts and I want to get a phonics program for her. I was set on OPG, but then I read Cathy Duffy's book and it looks like Happy Phonics would be good for her learning style.

Any thoughts? Those who have used one or both?

TIA!

Well, on one hand that's good to hear... buy'em both... on the other hand.. ugh.. expensive!

Could I get away with just the OPG manual or should I buy the whole kit and kaboodle?

Just buy only the manual. If you find that you want to do the enrichment activities, you can make your own index cards, but since you will be doing HP too, I don't see the need to do the enrichment activities really. But that is just my 2 cents! And try to find HP used unless you don't mind cutting. It took me 9 hours! :tongue_smilie: But it was worth it!

We used Happy Phonics with the Explode the Code books. It was more than enough to teach my oldest son to read. It didn't work for my second son who think learns in whole parts. The phonics approach didn't work for him. But I have a 4.5 year old that I am going to start Happy Phonics with in the fall. He loves letter and is always asking how to spell things. I think it's a complete program - and my boys are big game players, so it's a perfect approach for us.

Smiles,

Shalynn