Menu

Writing strands

LadyAberlin

I think I've decided on writing strands for my students. One is going into 3rd and the other is going into 6th. They are coming out of a public school and will be starting a private school in the fall. Do you think Book 3 is the proper place to start both of them, or should I start the oldest somewhere else?

Thanks

I think I've decided on writing strands for my students. One is going into 3rd and the other is going into 6th. They are coming out of a public school and will be starting a private school in the fall. Do you think Book 3 is the proper place to start both of them, or should I start the oldest somewhere else?

Thanks

Look them over, and then decide. My incliation would be to start the older one with Book 4, and the younger with Book 3. But if you decided that both would benefit from 3, at least move the older through it very quickly and then go on to Book 4.

Writing Strands recommends that you start in Level 3 if your child is 3rd to 8th grade.

Levels 3 & 4 aren't hugely different, but the topics are a little more in depth or add an extra complication.

Level 3 can be taught at many levels, so I'd go ahead and transition into homeschooling with that. Just be ready to be flexible with the program and allow differences between your children due to their grades as well as their personalities. Focus on the overall topic of the lesson more than whether they follow the exact details, and your kids will learn a lot!

Julie

Is the evaluating writing book necessary?

It can help you give your writer feedback without going overboard. Basically, your individual writer is unique and no book can evaluate his writing, including Evaluating Writing :)

But if you need some hand-holding because you don't know what to say or you know you're saying too much, then it can be helpful. I get it out once every year or two but don't really need it any more than that.

Julie