Menu

BJU Biology: with or without DIVE CD?

We will be using the BJU biology text this year; dd will be doing labs with a group.

I like the idea of the DIVE CDrom for lectures, lesson plans, and being able to observe more labs. However, since we really have labs covered I wonder if I really need the CDrom, or will it just complicate lesson planning?

If the CD rom is more lab-oriented, I would probably pass. If it has good lectures and study tips, it would probably be well worth it.

I know it's relatively new, but I'm hoping someone can throw in their two cents!

You know, I have heard that several times -- "wouldn't try to use with the DVDs" and "meant to be taught by a teacher", and I'm curious if you are familiar with the 3rd edition textbooks, or if perhaps you have encountered the older editions, and if that makes a difference. As I said, you're not the first person to make that comment, that seems to be the prevailing sentiment.

I may be ignorant of my own ignorance, but I've read the 3rd edition BJU biology textbook, and I find it very user-friendly. I don't consider myself a science expert by any stretch of the imagination, but with the exception of the chapters that contained a lot of chemistry, I felt the majority of the text was straightforward and easy to understand. An incredible amount of information, yes, but nothing that left me puzzled or frustrated. (I do love biology, and took two years in high school, and studied a bit of anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology after that, so maybe that helped?)

You know, I have heard that several times -- "wouldn't try to use with the DVDs" and "meant to be taught by a teacher", and I'm curious if you are familiar with the 3rd edition textbooks, or if perhaps you have encountered the older editions, and if that makes a difference. As I said, you're not the first person to make that comment, that seems to be the prevailing sentiment.

I may be ignorant of my own ignorance, but I've read the 3rd edition BJU biology textbook, and I find it very user-friendly. I don't consider myself a science expert by any stretch of the imagination, but with the exception of the chapters that contained a lot of chemistry, I felt the majority of the text was straightforward and easy to understand. An incredible amount of information, yes, but nothing that left me puzzled or frustrated. (I do love biology, and took two years in high school, and studied a bit of anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology after that, so maybe that helped?)

If you are familiar with it, it may be alright. The dvd teachers know how to present the topics, and know how to explain the harder topics to first time listeners. They also remind you of topics covered previously to tie to the new lesson. You will have to do all of that yourself.

I am about to do Apologia Biology for the second time and really like that science publisher. BJU was more indepth, and too much for me to tackle, but I only had one semester of biology in the 9th grade.

Whoo boy. I guess we'll give it a try, and see how it goes!

I think I will at least get the DIVE CDrom; sounds like I may need more help than I had anticipated! Thanks for the feedback.

BJU Press does allow you a one time add on of DVDs for the difference between the books and DVDs.