Menu

Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading in place of phonics pathways??

Guest April F

Guest April F

I have the first edition of WTM and it recommends phonics pathways, but I saw the Ordinary parents guide to teaching reading. Is that recommended instead of phonics pathways now or is it in addition to? If it is instead what are the differences? Thanks

OPGTR replaces Phonics Pathways. I've only used the latter. It's not cutesy or frilly, but it's effective and complete. I bought it before OPGTR existed and didn't have a reason to fix something that wasn't broken.

I think the biggest difference between them is the scripting. OPGTR tells you exactly what to say. Phonics Pathways doesn't have scripting, but it does give instructions.

We have both and have tried both. The big difference that I found was that PP starts at the beginning of the word (sa, se, si, so, su and eventually would lead to sat, set, sit, sot) and OPG uses word families and uses the end of the word (at, cat, bat, mat, pat). I found that my daughter wanted words a lot sooner than PP got to them so now we are using OPG.

To be honest, I will probably pull out PP as extra practice and reinforcement to make sure that she is getting what she is doing.

Oh, I also like the scripting in OPG. I'm sure I would have done fine with PP and eventually remembered what I was supposed to be doing without looking at the instruction page but I didn't get there before we stopped.

OPGTTR users:

Did you ever go too fast? Luke LOVES the poem, he's working through his vowels, and it's still kind of early to have started, but he WANTS to do work and LOVES flash cards. In the intro., she says to keep going, that the review at the beginning of each class will reinforce the parts they're having difficulty with, but I'm wondering if we should just do the same lessons next week, and maybe do the vowel lessons over and over and over until he has the poem mastered. He knows the letters and he'll say the sounds, but he doesn't have it down, iykwIm. What do I do?