Menu

Please recommend a vocabulary program to begin in 7th for SAT/ACT prep

We are already doing Latin, so I don't want something that is just Latin roots. I really want something like "Vocabulary for the College Bound Student", but the answer keys are only available to certified teachers at an institutional address :(.

We're planning to use Vocabulary From Classical Roots, with methods as outlined in WTM (making/reviewing flashcards, organizing the roots into a chart, and completing comprehension exercises in the books). I have the books already, and began using them this way, and can see how effective it will be at helping us retain root words to be able to remember English words. This series has Latin and Greek roots.

We've used Vocabulary from Classical Roots but I would also subscribe to the SAT vocab/question of the day from collegeboard.com. My kids like getting mail in their in-boxes, and it's a quick, non-threatening way to get just a little bit more vocab in there.

they also have read Vocab Cartoons (or something like that, there are 2 volumes) just for fun.