Menu

Sequential Spelling users, have you seen SpellingCity?

melmac

I use Spelling City with Sequential Spelling.

Twenty-five words at one go was too much for my dd, so I do just 15 words each day. I just draw a line in the book under the last word I typed in and start from there the next day. That means that we need more than 180 days to finish a book, but that's fine with me.

I just type in the next 15 words at the spellingcity webpage and hit "test me" to see if they are all there. Some of the words aren't in their system, so "flicker" may be there while "flickers" and "flickered" aren't. In that case, I just type in the base word as a replacement. You can do phrases or sentences in spellingcity, so I cross out the phrases and sentences and do the next word instead.

My dd does the test on the computer. When she's done, she clicks on "check me." I circle any of the words that she missed and she retests those words by clicking on "test me on the words I missed." When we finish a whole page in SS, I retest her on all the circled words (remember, I circled the words she missed).

If she has a day where she does very poorly, I'll cut her wordlist down to 10 words and have her do the "teach me" activity before testing. Once she gets the pattern down, I'll go back to our regular 15 words and just have her do the test.

Since we're doing just 15 words/day, it takes more than 180 days. I do cross off some of the "weird" words on the list and all the phrases and proper names (because phrases and proper names aren't on spellingcity). My dd started SS1 near the beginning of 4th grade. It usually takes us about 7 days to finish one page of SS - that's the amount that SS schedules for just 4 days. This means that it takes us about 1.5 years to finish one level (we work through the summer too).

I just type in the next 15 words at the spellingcity webpage and hit "test me" to see if they are all there. Some of the words aren't in their system, so "flicker" may be there while "flickers" and "flickered" aren't. In that case, I just type in the base word as a replacement. You can do phrases or sentences in spellingcity, so I cross out the phrases and sentences and do the next word instead.

You have me confused. Are you entering the words on Spelling City yourself, or using the AVKO pre-made lists?