Menu

Dolciani / Singapore math

Melissa B

My daughter was getting burnt out on Singapore Math after level 4. We do the main text/workbook, intensive practice and challenging word problems. So I went ahead and let her stop Singapore and start Dolciani Pre-Algebra (1970.) She is still in the first book of the two book series. She is doing fine with the pre-algebra book and enjoys it more than Singapore. She would like to simply continue on with it into Dolciani Algebra I. I had always envisioned going back to Singapore 5 in the fall. For those that are familiar with either/both programs, what do you think? Are there areas of Singapore 5/6 that I should definitely cover? Only the text/workbook? Only the challenging word problems? I actually wouldn't feel at all bad in telling her she simply has to get back to the full Singapore 5 curriculum come fall. She doesn't mind math, so even this would be OK. But her preference is to just continue in the Dolciani books. What would you do?

I have both of these, except I have book 2 in the 1970 Dolciani pre-algebra. I haven't done this yet but you might go through the table of contents for the rest of the singapore series and compare to the Dolciani. The geometry concepts covered in Singapore might not be in the Dolciani.

It's on my "to do" list, but haven't gotten there yet.

My plan is to use Dolciani and LOF decimals/percents (we've finished the fractions book), but I have Singapore as a back up.

I vote for letting her continue with Dolciani text.

We have the 1972 Dolciani Structure and Method 1, and we've done Singapore 3-6. If she is doing well and enjoying Dolciani, I don't see any reason to have her go back to a curriculum that she is less attracted to. When I compare Singapore 5A,B with Stucture and Method 1, the latter covers all the topic Singapore 5 has, and more. I don't think your dd will miss out on anything. If you really want to, maybe use CWP book with Dolciani, but I really don't think going back to the whole program is necessary.

Do you have the teacher's edition of Dolciani or the student's edition? I am looking for these texts myself and was wondering if I should try to find the teacher's edition which is even harder than the students.

Thanks,

I have the teachers edition to mine. I have several Dolciani texts and have found a few on amazon and one on abe books. They go quickly on amazon.

Do you have the teacher's edition of Dolciani or the student's edition? I am looking for these texts myself and was wondering if I should try to find the teacher's edition which is even harder than the students.

Thanks,

I have both for Pre-Algebra and Algebra, but only the student text for Algebra II.

I do have an extra Algebra I student text.