Menu

Abeka Language vs Rod & Staff English or something else?

laurad1125

Has anyone tried both of these programs? If so, what was your experience?

We started with ABeka Language B (5th grade) this month and DS isn't really getting it. The explanations just aren't resonating with him. I chose ABeka over R&S because he really dislikes big text books. They overwhelm him. But now I'm wondering if the explanations in R&S might really help. Any suggestions?

I can't compare Abeka with R&S (sorry), but we are using a variety of levels of Abeka Language and I really like the books. Had your DS done much grammar before? Maybe it would be helpful to go back to Language A and work up into Language B. My 5th grader is working in Language A and I'm not finding it too young for her at all, and it's giving her more basis that she'll need to move on.

Just a thought.

I've used both and IMO they are very very different. R&S is mastery and has some review of previous stuff and is NOT workbook style. The children have a lot of writing to do. Which I think there is no need for a writing curric. My son learned very well with it for 3rd grade. The explanations in the book are written very well with great examples. I didnt care much for Abeka's explanations but thats just me. We were using it in the beginning of hsing too.

We now use CLE because he was not fond of writing SO much :) But I think its a great program. Far above many of them. Plus he remembered MANY of the grammar rules as well. Which to be honest was surprising to me!! (He's a boy lol)

Edited by littlemomof3

We didn't like A Beka Language very much. Once I tried R&S English, I wouldn't go back to A Beka for anything (well, I could use a million dollars, so I might if someone offered that. But I'd use it as a supplement to R&S! :D ). The Teacher's Guides are fabulous with R&S, which helped me tremendously, since grammar is a weak area for me!