Menu

Looking for feedback on SL Core 6, especially the readers?

Ferdie

We are starting our second 4 year history cycle next year and are planning to do ancients again. I wanted to use SOTW 1 again since my youngest children were in preschool the first time around. They will be in 3rd and 4th grade next year.

I noticed that SL Core 6 uses SOTW 1 and 2 so I thought that might be perfect for my 6th grader. I was thinking of stretching Core 6 over two years using the 5 day a week schedule.

I would love to have an instructor's guide that laid everything out for us, especially discussion questions for the readers for my oldest.

Has anyone here used SL Core 6? I am wondering if the readers are good and if the IG is worth the money.

Thanks

We're finishing up Core 6 right now. We have enjoyed the readers and the read alouds and find the schedule worth it. We don't use the discussion questions and use narration instead, but we like the mapping and timeline helps found in the IG. We also just like having the schedule for ds to flip to every morning when I'm busy with the younger kids.

You can get access to the choosing forum at SL and you'll get a lot of answers there, you can also get a 30 day trial to read at all the forums on the SL board- including the core 6 one so that you can get a better idea of what Core 6 is like.

We are starting our second 4 year history cycle next year and are planning to do ancients again. I wanted to use SOTW 1 again since my youngest children were in preschool the first time around. They will be in 3rd and 4th grade next year.

I noticed that SL Core 6 uses SOTW 1 and 2 so I thought that might be perfect for my 6th grader. I was thinking of stretching Core 6 over two years using the 5 day a week schedule.

I would love to have an instructor's guide that laid everything out for us, especially discussion questions for the readers for my oldest.

Has anyone here used SL Core 6? I am wondering if the readers are good and if the IG is worth the money.

Thanks

Core 6 was *perfect* for my 6th grader, and I may have my younger ds go through it in 6th grade as well. However, just from my own experience....

I was told I would be able to combine my 6th grader and 3rd grader last year, and this just did not work, even with the 3rd grader using different readers. It simply moved too quickly (though I guess if you were going to slow it down, then that's not a concern), and the Read-alouds were overwhelming to him.

The readers (and Read-alouds) contain quite a bit violence, some s*x (tho' not explicitly narrated), and dark themes (children making their way through un-child-friendly places alone). My 3rd grader cried and cried after one book (which was *really* a good book), so I bought core 1+2 for him.

But, I wouldn't recommend 1+2 because it just goes so quickly at the end, it was confusing to *me*, and we ended up just not doing the last 4 weeks at all.

Using two cores was *not* difficult, because I didn't tweak them in any way, except that I expected my 6th grader to do written narrations or outlines rather than just discussing his history reading.

and, I really liked core 6, so I hope you understand, I'm not bashing it. It just has it's place. It really gives you lots of topics to discuss with your middle-schooler that they happen to be contemplating, and helped bring us closer together in addition to being a fun trek through history.

hth,

Rhonda

Nicole - I did not know about the 30 SL forum trial - thanks so much for that tip.

Rhonda - thank you for the feedback on the read alouds. Now that I think about it I bet the majority of the read alouds would stress out my dd (9). She just finished reading Viking Adventure by Bulla and was so scared she slept in our room for a night and that book is a SL 2nd or 3rd grade reader.

I will probably need to find different read alouds for family time.

Thanks you guys!

You could use the lists in WTM for read-alouds. Just pick from both the grammar and logic sections. That's what we did (in addition to the SL read-alouds). It really was the best of both worlds!

the coville shakespeare books are beautiful!!!!! I would think you could just use whatever your library happens to have for the other recs, skipping whatever isn't there. But search amazon for coville's books to see what all is available.

sorry my shift key has decided not to work!

Rhonda