Menu

Getting paid for good grades

My teacher's education forum had this discussion though the article was regarding young children, not older ones. It was very interesting. Here is the post I wrote outlining my thoughts:

I think it can be very problematic, as well as helpful, to pay students for grades.

I'm hoping I can state my main concern well enough. Giving students money for grades takes away even more of the intrinsic value of the learning itself. Grading already did that to a degree and paying for the grade does so even more so. Students aren't learning to appreciate learning for what learning offers, but instead doing what it takes for a certain grade (either for the grade's sake or, in this case, for the money).

So that is my biggest concern; but though I think it detracts from the real opportunities learning affords, I do think there are benefits also. There will be some students who really will try harder in order to get the money. In doing so, they benefit from the learning in a few ways. It gives them more exposure to different things. It allows them to learn things they may follow further, more indepth, deeper, broader, etc.

However, it can really backfire also. Students who truly cannot reach certain goals will always miss out. Others who have come to believe they are incapable, unworthy, dumb, etc will not even try. It can be just another thing on the pile of things they miss out on due to learning disabilities, language barriers, poor education, and other disadvantages. I think it gives the wrong idea. Honestly, some student's C's and D's are MUCH more valuable than other student's straight A's.

I would totally agree with spending money and time on educating parents. I think that would make a considerable difference. And though I think there are built-in benefits to learning good parenting skills and tools, I would even be willing to offer incentives to parents to get them to do it. I am sure that parents generally do care, but a lot of times, especially in disadvantaged areas, life gets in the way of doing better. More parents who really could use the additional help would take advantage with incentives tied to it.

And I really agree that educating the parents could really make a much bigger difference in the lives, including education, of children.

I thought I heard of some sort of program like that before. I would support it if it came to my area.

ETA: One person gave an excellent opinion which can be summed up in one sentence: School isn't a job; it's a privilege

Edited by 2J5M9K

WHen I say spending it on educating parents, I mean regarding parenting. Academics may be a consideration, but I'm thinking of paying them for participating in the education of their children.

So we'd pay parents to attend parenting classes. We'd pay them to go to parent/teacher conferences. These sorts of things are not things that would take years to do. IMMEDIATELY, they would have a support group and learn about decent parenting skills. IMMEDIATELY, they would have information from the teacher about their child's performance and what can be done at school and home to help the student. IMMEDIATELY, the child would see mom (and dad) at school functions, showing interest in homework, etc.

Ideally parents would go to parent/teacher conferences without a bribe. But ask teachers how many people show up especially when it would mean taking off work an hour early. Ideally parents would ask their kids about homework (and at least make sure it was done, if not checked). Ideally parents would go to open houses and recitals. Ideally parents would have kids in bed at a decent time. Ideally parents would feed their kids appropriately. Ideally parents would back the teacher (except in extreme cases when obviously a teacher shouldn't be backed). These are all things that could be learned EASILY.

MORE parents will participate if they are given a greater incentive. Offer supper for the family and more families will show up. Offer a little money per grading period that Johnny turns in his homework and Mom will make sure his homework is in his backpack completed. Offer an hour's pay for a 30 min teacher conference and parents will show. Offer a small pay for parenting classes and parents will go and continue learning and have a positive support group.

It will take time to get the parents' academic levels up if that is part of the program, but parents most certainly can be bribed to start doing some things a bit better in a way that can help the student immediately.