Menu

What is the best independent latin program for a 7th grader?

Mommy7

We have used Latin for Children A this year. My daughter is halfway through and feels that it doesn't teach her how to apply what she has learned. It just seems like a lot of vocabulary, she says. She said they don't teach you how to translate. Anyone have a feel for the accuracy of her thoughts on it?

We have looked at Latina Christiana. It seems to give more practice with translation and she liked that. I like that it has the instructional DVD's.

Is there another one out there that has instructional DVD's? I just don't have time to teach it myself.

Thanks!

We have used Latin for Children A this year. My daughter is halfway through and feels that it doesn't teach her how to apply what she has learned. It just seems like a lot of vocabulary, she says. She said they don't teach you how to translate. Anyone have a feel for the accuracy of her thoughts on it?

We have looked at Latina Christiana. It seems to give more practice with translation and she liked that. I like that it has the instructional DVD's.

Is there another one out there that has instructional DVD's? I just don't have time to teach it myself.

Thanks!

I would encourage you to look at Galore Park's Latin Prep series. It is challenging and fun. My daughter has been working through Level 1 this year. I've signed her up for an online course (Henle) for next year because I want her to have oversight. I have not been able to keep up with learning alongside her so, for me, I am thinking it will be worthwhile to have her take an online course. But Latin Prep has been a great experience. I think you will find it is definitely not just learning vocab. My child enjoyed the challenge of it very much. We used LC 1 the year before and she just got bogged down. It was hard to learn it without understanding the whys of it if that makes sense. I am sure there are other self-learning programs out there but this is the only one that I have experience with. The only thing with Latin Prep is that there are no DVD's but the book is very clear and direct. I am not sure you would need the DVD's with a motivated student. Otherwise, you might look into an online course as we did.

Best wishes,

Anita