Menu

How bad is paint?

I have chipping paint all over.

I get up every morning and the first thing I do is sweep so my 9 month old can crawl.

We are even saving the bigger pieces in a baby food jar.

I am sure there is lead in it. The house was built in the 40's or 50's.

My entire day I am obsessed with any small, white, flakey thing on the floor.

And what drives me INSANE about it is the fact that there are even permanent flakes on my floor.

This due to the fact that the paint chipped before they refinished the floor.

So when they put a clear coat on the floors - they painted over several flakes of white chipped paint and so I am always bending down to inspect them.

It's worse with the cheap old doors and wooden frames swelling with summer humidity.

The paint chips are thick - to the wood. Sometimes I can see the dark spot on the trim and immediately know from where it came.

Other times I look around and see nothing. For the most part we don't where it is all coming from.

The most recent layer of paint on the walls is an oil base.

I have no idea why it is chipping, and chipping to the wood, even in places where there is no door to frame contact.

It's really starting to freak me out.

And this is a rental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE RENTAL HOUSES.

Edited by Karen sn

Has he had his blood lead level checked? I'd do that first, then I'd see if your county health department offers environmental lead assessments. I don't know the laws, but your landlord might be responsible for removing lead paint.

Ingestion of lead paint is a concern, but inhalation of lead dust is also an important source of exposure. Wet mopping would be better than sweeping, because sweeping will disturb lead dust and make it easier to inhale.

Not to be alarmist or anything, but it's bad. The stuff on the floor is sealed in, so no big deal, but those chips are really not good for your little crawler. I don't know what the laws are in your state (re: peeling lead paint, homeowner removal, lanlord responsibility to tenants), but maybe you could apply a little pressure to your landlord for the cost of paint so you can just paint over it all and stick it down while the kidlets are asleep? I'd get water based Kilz and use that as primer, then paint on top of it. That should seal it up fairly well.

Gosh. When we were remodeling we (then dh, because I was pregnant) even picked chips out of flower beds because it leaches so badly into the soil that if anyone wanted to grow food there it would be horrid. If I remember correctly, sweeping isn't enough either. You'll need to damp mop several times a day to keep it safe for your little guy.

So sorry! I'm reliving the horrors of it now -- it's wretched.

:grouphug:

Wet mopping would be better than sweeping, because sweeping will disturb lead dust and make it easier to inhale.

Good point.

I am afraid of lead dust.

This is the first good landlord I have had in YEARS.

His house just sucks because it's old.

He takes rent in two monthly payments because we are broke. And he mows the huge yard.

We lived in a rental when one of my kids had their routine 1 year lead test. It came back high enough that the Dr office called the state ( I can't remember what department it was). they came in and did an inspection of our apartment and the LL had to do some work. We moved in the meantime because I was freaked about the lead. The child had to be closely followed for a while afterwards. There is some good info here: http://lead-info.com/

I remember finding the same type of info below and if I remember right they recommended using diswasher solution to clean with.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5054.html

"You can periodically wet mop and wipe surfaces and floors with a high phosphorous (at least 5%) cleaning solution. Wear waterproof gloves to prevent skin irritation. Avoid activities that will disturb or damage lead based paint and create dust. This is a preventive measure and is not an alternative to replacement or removal"

I highly recommend having your baby screened.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Not to be alarmist or anything, but it's bad. The stuff on the floor is sealed in, so no big deal, but those chips are really not good for your little crawler. I don't know what the laws are in your state (re: peeling lead paint, homeowner removal, lanlord responsibility to tenants), but maybe you could apply a little pressure to your landlord for the cost of paint so you can just paint over it all and stick it down while the kidlets are asleep? I'd get water based Kilz and use that as primer, then paint on top of it. That should seal it up fairly well.

Gosh. When we were remodeling we (then dh, because I was pregnant) even picked chips out of flower beds because it leaches so badly into the soil that if anyone wanted to grow food there it would be horrid. If I remember correctly, sweeping isn't enough either. You'll need to damp mop several times a day to keep it safe for your little guy.

So sorry! I'm reliving the horrors of it now -- it's wretched.

:grouphug:

Thanks for the sympathy.

Before I do all that work on another man's house - I'm gonna move.

I just can't do another thing to another rental. It is a curse on me that I live in these awful houses.

I just can't fix this mess and then move out in a few months. I'd rather just get out now.

I might have to get a job before the baby is a year old and get us out of here.