Menu

Got a great air-dry clay recipe?

Gwenny

I've noticed that there are a few projects for SOTW next year that use clay. Anyone have a great recipe for making clay. Air-dry or oven baked would be great. I've tried a few in the past but have yet found the perfect recipe. Most seem to crack, get puffy when baked, or are too gritty (from the salt). I'd rather make my own than purchase.

Thanks,

Gwen

For smaller projects, this is great stuff:

1/2 cup cornstarch

1 cup baking soda

3/4 cup water

1. Mix in pot, and stir until smooth and no longer feels stuck to bottom of pot.
  2. Cook over medium low heat until it's the consistency of mashed potatoes. Turn off stove and remove pot.
  3. Turn out into a bowl and cover with damp cloth to cool.
  4. When cool, knead on surface dusted with corn starch, adding a bit more starch if you think it's needed (or leave uncovered for an hour or so).
  5. Store in fridge in sealed plastic bag, but bring to room temp before use. Bring to room temperature before using.

You can add food colouring, or marble it. This recipe can be doubled.

Leave creations to air-dry for a couple days or bake at 250 F for a couple of hours.

Edited to add: This can be painted.

Edited by nmoira

Wow! I didn't know it was possible. So this works like clay, rather than playdo?
Yes, though it's not quite the same tactile experience as clay. It dries quite hard, and won't crumble so easily as dried salt dough.