Menu

No Latin yet...are my kids doomed? LOL

So my 3rd, 7th, and 8th grade dc haven't done any Latin. The 7th and 8th grader did Prima Latina back in 2nd and 3rd grades but they forgot everything. We stopped doing it simply because I was feeling overwhelmed for a few years. Things have settled a lot better here at home and I'm in a better position to introduce Latin again, and this time to stick with it. I'm trying to figure out what would be best for them. WWYD? Some of the Latin programs seem great but sometimes they seem either too young or too old for my kids. Maybe I just haven't been reading carefully enough. Anyone been down this road before that can show some guidance? I have no previous Latin experience. Dc like workbooks. Can spend about $50 to $100. If I can only afford the older two what should I spend it on? They're really bright children and we've never had any learning problems. They learn quickly and adapt quickly.

Help me spend $100 dollars? Thanks!

Blessings,

Libby in Texas :)

Ah, I'm surprised no one mentioned Latin for Children. I know that was all the rage a while back. Anyone know if it was indeed worthwhile after all? Yes I'm going to start searching the boards for the answer anyway.

Ok, I'll look into both Latin Alive and Lively Latin. Thanks again everyone.

Blessings,

Libby in Texas

Libby,

One program you should consider is The Great Latin Adventure by Classical Legacy Press. It is within your price range and I've found it to be the best program available for beginning Latin. I used it for all three of my kids and love it! It comes in two volumes. You could have your 7th and 8th grader go full board with it and you could make up vocabulary cards for your third grader from the vocabulary lists found in the chapters. Your 3rd grader would enjoy "doing Latin" with the older siblings, and give him/her a great running start with the program. One thing that is so great about GLA is that the content and format are not at all babyish. You can get more information and see samples from the website: http://www.classicallegacypress.com

HTH!

Ah, I'm surprised no one mentioned Latin for Children. I know that was all the rage a while back. Anyone know if it was indeed worthwhile after all? Yes I'm going to start searching the boards for the answer anyway.

Ok, I'll look into both Latin Alive and Lively Latin. Thanks again everyone.

Blessings,

Libby in Texas

We have done Latin for Children (starting in 3rd grade.) And it's been great, but it's not what I would do with a 7th and 8th grader. Latin Alive is their program for older kids.