Menu

What age would be your earliest for beginning greek?

Kfamily

Dd (6) wants to learn Greek. We are just beginning Latin (Song School) this fall and carrying on with light French. I suggested we wait a couple of years (at least 1 year). She's accelerated and very determined. How long should I make her wait?

We've only just started with Elementary Greek but so far the kids are loving it. Actually the boys asked to learn once they saw dd learning. Even my youngest is joining in. dd is 6, the boys are 5 and youngest has just turned 3. We are also learning Latin and whatever foreign language books the kids pick up at the library, usually French or German. I'm not sure how they will go as we get further on into the course, Elementary Greek is a grammar based programme, so far we haven't had any problems with Latin grammar so we may be okay. If your dd wants to learn and you are willing I'd say go for it. Learning the different alphabet has been lots of fun.

I think it is best to focus on one language's grammar at a time when you are first introducing them. I don't think there is any harm in getting her familiar with the Greek alphabet, though. My 7yo and 4yo have been learning the Greek letters and sounds over the last few months.

I would wait until a child is solid in his/her reading of English. Then add the "new feature" of a different character set. I delayed piano instruction for dc for the same reason. Yes, one could challenge me on the grounds that we teach math symbols to young children. Considering verbal languages only, though, I still believe it less frustrating to internalize the process of reading (and understanding) before adding the new layer of alternate written characters.

In addition (but this is not the same line of thought as above), I'm saying this because I can't budge on the traditional method by which a foreign language is best learned via speaking, reading, writing, and hearing. Of course, children quickly gain fluency in hearing/speaking a foreign language when they hear it daily. In contrast, though, ancient Greek -- or, the more modern koine, which is what I usually hear of people teaching their children -- no longer is a spoken language, so "conversational Attic" doesn't make any sense ! :)

P.S. Whacking myself for stupidity. Of course one can hear koine spoken and sung -- in the church services of the Greek Orthodox ! Hardly anyone here is Orthodox though.

Edited by Orthodox6

We started Latin in December (Prima Latina) and Greek in March (Hey Andrew, Greek Alphabet). Some people have a higher aptitude for languages, and I am pretty sure my ds does. Let your dd start, if it's too much, drop it for awhile and go back later. It really depends on the person, but if she's excited about it, why not?

Thanks everyone! It is so hard to turn down determined interest in learning isn't it?:001_smile: After I discussed it with her, she mentioned learning Spanish too. She had it all planned out. She said, " I can learn Greek when I'm 7 (after I mentioned maybe waiting a year) and then Spanish when I'm 8." I said "Well, we're already learning Latin and French so I guess you really want to learn a lot of languages!" She smiled really big and said "Yes, I want to learn a LOT of languages!"

What surprised me the most was when I shared it with older dd. I was sure she would have something negative to say but instead she said she'd like to learn too. WOW!!