Menu

Just received Best Short Stories by Jamestown Publishers-Cool!

Karie

I had read about these on a previous thread: Best Short Stories, Best Plays, Best Poems, and Best Nonfiction-all introductory level. I was very intrigued and ordered 2 of them used from Amazon. I've been looking over Best Short Stories and think this will go great for us this next year. I'm thinking I could do 2 books for the next 2 years (5th and 6th grade). They really look fantastic.

They are written to students in a classroom, but with a little manipulation, it will work for us just fine. Anyone else here use these books? If so, how did you go about your planning? I've got some ideas, but just checking to see if others have done this ahead of me.

I heartily agree with you. I have the beginning and intermediate levels and if it weren't the fact that reading is happening with my girls with Bob JOnes, I would have jumped ship. The only thing about this series is I don't know how to schedule the readings so I can easily glide into it day by day. I know Hewitt have the schedule for the intermediate levels. In fact, if I remember correctly, the whole LIghtning Literature series, were patterned after these Jamestown literature books.

Good, simply good materials and analysis. You just remind me to dig out these books from a shelf somewhere and maybe, just maybe get to do it with my girls.

I had these recommended to me before as perhaps a lit analysis for my about to be 5th grader. Do you think that would work?

What purpose did you have in mind when you purchased them? Just curious what subject and grade level you were using them for??:bigear:

I had these recommended to me before as perhaps a lit analysis for my about to be 5th grader. Do you think that would work?

The beginning level is recommended to start at 5th grade which is just right for yours and my girls.

What purpose did you have in mind when you purchased them? Just curious what subject and grade level you were using them for??:bigear:

To find that perfect, elusive, literature curriculum. For me, the beginning Jamestown reading series will be suitable for reading/literature at the 5th grade level.

Pardon me for intruding if you are asking someone else.:001_smile:

I'm using them with a 5th grade boy. My purpose was to have something for analysis (we've never had a reading curriculum before) and also writing assignments that go along with what he would be learning in his analysis. These books are for 5th/6th grade according to Hewitt Publishers.

To find that perfect, elusive, literature curriculum. For me, the beginning Jamestown reading series will be suitable for reading/literature at the 5th grade level.

I'm using them with a 5th grade boy. My purpose was to have something for analysis (we've never had a reading curriculum before) and also writing assignments that go along with what he would be learning in his analysis. These books are for 5th/6th grade according to Hewitt Publishers.

Thanks ladies! When you say reading curriculum I think you mean LA except for grammar and spelling? Am I right? Do you consider this a writing curriculum as well?

I've been looking for something for my ds10 who will be in 5th grade next year. I've been combining his reading/history with big sis with SL4 this last year and it's worked fine, but we need something different next year. I want more lit analysis and writing that is associated with what we're reading. I haven't found it yet and wondered if this would work. We're going to switch to History Odyssey level 2 Ancients next year for them both so the reading will be much lighter than SL. Big sis will probably do Lightning Lit 7.

I will be using a separate writing curriculum that teaches the mechanics of writing. These Best books don't seem to teach mechanics as much as they incorporate the different styles into their own writing-more creative writing it appears. I've just looked through the Short Stories book and they have to write plot outlines, etc. So, that's what I was looking for-just purely reading/analysis, and writing assignments that goes along with what he's learning in the reading part. Does this make sense? I feel like I'm rambling!

I will be using a separate writing curriculum that teaches the mechanics of writing. These Best books don't seem to teach mechanics as much as they incorporate the different styles into their own writing-more creative writing it appears. I've just looked through the Short Stories book and they have to write plot outlines, etc. So, that's what I was looking for-just purely reading/analysis, and writing assignments that goes along with what he's learning in the reading part. Does this make sense? I feel like I'm rambling!

Yes! I still need a writing curriculum, spelling and grammar but this will do lit analysis, right?

Thank you!!

Jen-There are comprehension questions after each section, and then it goes into greater depth regarding whatever subject the unit is working on. For example: In unit 1 of Short Stories, they are learning about plot. Then there are 3 sections that break the plot down into exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. Each of those sections has an exercise and "Writing on Your Own". This way, they are learning those concepts by writing their own plot with the 5 elements of plot.

Thanks! Those look lovely, especially the short story ones. Next year we're doing poetry with MCT LA, and we have a book club where the idea is to discuss a longer book using Socratic Questioning a la Teaching the Classics, but a bit of writing on the Short Story form reinforcing all this might be just the thing.

I should get the introductory level for kids going into 6th? Are these designed so that I could have them read and do the assignments somewhat independently?

Is there anywhere to get this cheaper?? :)

I keep finding so many cool things to add to our schedule, I'm not sure if my poor kids are going to have time to sleep! :001_huh:

ETA: Oh, heavens, the play books look great too. Yeesh.

Edited by matroyshka

The intro level is for 5th and 6th. I bought mine used at Amazon.com. Some were only 1.99 a piece. Much better price and so far the 2 I've received are in perfect condition. They seem semi-independent. I haven't used them yet, I've just perused them today.

Forgot to say thanks for the info on the answer key book on Hewitt. I bought it. That should be very helpful!

I was looking at that too... unfortunately it is not available used on Amazon. :(

Please report back when you get it and let us know if it's helpful or a "must have" or just obvious stuff... While I hate to spend more on the answer key than the books themselves (yes, I went and ordered Short Stories and Plays last night), I also think with all that's on my plate next year, anything that makes my life easier is a good thing...