Menu

Need 3rd Grade Grammar Advice, Please! RnS, Shurley, FLL ???

thorne

I am finishing up our first year of HS-ing, so I am evaluating what we did this year: what we liked, and what didn't work out quite as well. So many of the posts on this board have been of great help to me, and I've learned a lot by "lurking"!! Now I have a Grammar question I wonder if anyone might have some input about.....

My ds finishing 2nd grade did Rod n Staff grade 2 with me this year. NO troubles, sailed through it happily.

The year before (1st grade) he was in a Classical Christian School where I believe they used Shurley.

I have lots of options for Grammar for 3rd grade, but am pondering using Shurley or FLL 3. So I wondered if anyone has switched from RodnStaff to Shurley OR from RodnStaff to FLL 3 which is now available.....

I am quite torn over which direction to go with him. My dd used the Shurley program in the same CC school through 3rd grade with great results - she had an excellent grammar foundation laid, so much that moving from Shurley 3 to RnS 4 was honestly too easy for her, and I wish I'd either continued on in the Shurley, or maybe skipped to RnS 5.

My ds learns very quickly, he's the kind of student where you explain something once, and it pretty much sticks (unless it's re: math, but that's a whole 'nother story!).

So....while I certainly don't want to overload him on Grammar, I do want to take into account the fact that he has ample capacity for learning, and I want to challenge him.

Will FLL 3 be a good fit, should I possibly consider FLL 4??

Would Shurley 3 be the right place to start him? Jumping to Shurley 4 sounds a bit overzealous, but I don't know how these programs compare, and I understand that Shurley repeats a lot from what people say here.

Any help and advice is VERY appreciated, thank you!! :001_smile:

My ds finishing 2nd grade did Rod n Staff grade 2 with me this year. NO troubles, sailed through it happily.

Is there a reason you'd like to switch? I've got one boy in R&S 2 and two boys in R&S 3. We haven't finished either, but R&S 3 does seem to ramp up in intensity from R&S 2. I actually like R&S 3 better than 2. So I'd say if you both liked it and it worked, stick with it :001_smile:.

Personally, I would stay with R&S since it worked for you.

But, I'm saying that while not having used ANY of the programs that you mentioned, though I am tempted by FLL. I'm strongly considering using it with my dd when she gets to 3rd grade.